Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the bike left me stranded today, dead battery. Got stuck having to take the cage into work. Got home, ripped the seat off and tore into it to see what the heck was going on. R/R looked like crap, plug dang near gone from battery acid. So that got cleaned up and relocated. Decided to go ahead and clean all my electric connections while I was at it. Noticed that one of the 3 wires coming from the stator to the r/r was burnt to a crisp. Pulled remaining wires apart just to check and get rid of the connectors and solder them instead. My long winded question is what the heck caused the wire to burn at the connection? Could it have been the 90/100 head light? Bad connection at the r/r? Stumped.
 

·
Chasin' the blacktop
Joined
·
1,498 Posts
An educated guess would lead me to say either just poor wiring from the stator shorting out. At this point I'd be willing to bet your stator is fried.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joy. Was hoping to get thru the warm months and pull the motor this winter. Need to find a good multimeter and test it all.
 

·
NEVER TO OLD TO RIDE
Joined
·
111 Posts
was the stator wire that burned up the one that fed the headlamp circuit ? if yes, it may be related to the head light circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
The previous owner of my motorcycle also had an acid leak from the battery. when i bought it it had a closed battery so I never thought to check, but then the stator fried and I'm pretty sure it was because the plug on the RR was half eaten away.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
So the bike left me stranded today, dead battery. Got stuck having to take the cage into work. Got home, ripped the seat off and tore into it to see what the heck was going on. R/R looked like crap, plug dang near gone from battery acid. So that got cleaned up and relocated. Decided to go ahead and clean all my electric connections while I was at it. Noticed that one of the 3 wires coming from the stator to the r/r was burnt to a crisp. Pulled remaining wires apart just to check and get rid of the connectors and solder them instead. My long winded question is what the heck caused the wire to burn at the connection? Could it have been the 90/100 head light? Bad connection at the r/r? Stumped.
If your charging system is operating at full power you will only have about 40 watts extra to play with. Your 90 watt head light is putting over 35 watts more load on the system than a standard head light, unless it's a HID head light.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rode her to work this morning. I'm not going to say the problem is fixed, but headlight is brighter, neutral light brighter. Didn't smell electrical when I parked it after 40 miles. Going to get a multimeter from the pump maintenance dept and test it before I leave.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,354 Posts
i think I replaced my stator wires with either 12 or 14ga....I kept em separated, then bound em....if that makes sense....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
Do they even make a 90/100 headlight? Try a 80/100 to save your charging system. Keep low beam on till you need the boost.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They do make a 90/100 and it is no longer on the bike. went back to stock. 2 tanks and no issues. No electrical smell even after cruising at and above highway speed. I think it was a combo of the juiced head light and the p.o. not knowing what he was doing, and not getting the plugs all the way in. The p.o. even painted the blinkers while still on the bike. With the amount of over spray he had to be drunk or something. But to be on the safe side, once winter hits, new stator will be installed.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top