Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was working on this mod. I plan on drilling and tapping the holes before cutting the engine plate. All I have for now is the card board ideas. Here are some pics. I plan on using aluminum for the plates. Add ideas or short commings on this idea.

The black dots is where the small bolts will be placed.
The black line is where the engine cover will be cut. It is the same as where all others cut it. Bolt will be placed before any citting is done. This will ensure a better line up fit.

Attachments

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
I really like your thinking on this! A couple thoughts-

Is the case thick enough to hold many threads? I suppose with three bolts on each side of the cut you may not need much.

You'll probably need to grind the ribs on the inside of the case cover to allow clearance for the bolt heads and wires...

Is there any reason the two plates couldn't be connected in the center (covering the three inner bolt holes, still leaving the shaft bolt accessible). Might help even more with strength and alignment.

You say you're going to use aluminum, any reason steel won't work?

I'm in the middle of a Tuxedo stator mod, just prior to cutting the case. This is very intriguing! Hell, maybe I should try it, if it just won't fly I guess I can always Tux it!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There is already a company that will do this for you. Don't rember the name but somebody will be chiming in soon.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I really like your thinking on this! A couple thoughts-

Is the case thick enough to hold many threads? I suppose with three bolts on each side of the cut you may not need much.

You'll probably need to grind the ribs on the inside of the case cover to allow clearance for the bolt heads and wires...

Is there any reason the two plates couldn't be connected in the center (covering the three inner bolt holes, still leaving the shaft bolt accessible). Might help even more with strength and alignment.

You say you're going to use aluminum, any reason steel won't work?

I'm in the middle of a Tuxedo stator mod, just prior to cutting the case. This is very intriguing! Hell, maybe I should try it, if it just won't fly I guess I can always Tux it!
I like the idea of connecting the two pieces together. I kind of thougth that aluminum may not bend too easy. But steel will work.
I plan on using black allen head bolts and lock tight them in.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is already a company that will do this for you. Don't rember the name but somebody will be chiming in soon.
Yeah, but they want 400$ or more.
I did the stator replacement and it was not too bad. Just time consuming.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Since this is a new thread on the subject, I feel a need to post my opinion about it. Assuming you don't really care about looks, I see nothing wrong with the mod, but I STRONGLY suggest removing the complete cover from the engine and doing the cutting and grinding in a safe place, where metal particles will not get into the engine. Just a few small metal particles in the oil can destroy an engine. In fact, IMO, doing this mod with the cover on the engine will result in more damage to the engine than running the K&N pod type filters. They will at least stop the big stuff. I am posting my opinion for anyone who may find it useful. Since it is your bike, it is your choice, but you are doing it at your own risk, and IMO, the risk is considerable.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Since this is a new thread on the subject, I feel a need to post my opinion about it. Assuming you don't really care about looks, I see nothing wrong with the mod, but I STRONGLY suggest removing the complete cover from the engine and doing the cutting and grinding in a safe place, where metal particles will not get into the engine. Just a few small metal particles in the oil can destroy an engine. In fact, IMO, doing this mod with the cover on the engine will result in more damage to the engine than running the K&N pod type filters. They will at least stop the big stuff. I am posting my opinion for anyone who may find it useful. Since it is your bike, it is your choice, but you are doing it at your own risk, and IMO, the risk is considerable.
Im with you on this one, plus I think it would be so much easier to work with!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Any progress on this Modification? I'd love to see the finished product. How well did tapping and screwing into the case work out?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
i completely agree that taking the cover off when doing this mod is best so as to keep all shavings out of the engine, however, there in lies the conundrum.
Don't you have to pull the motor to get the cover off?
If that is the case then why is this mod necessary?
Do stators go out that much?
So that being said i believe it is a great idea and my only other question is why didn't kawi think of it in the first place?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Do stators go out that much?
I've read stories/post from other members who indicated that they have had multiple stators fail on them.

In my case, there is a pretty good chance that I'll be pulling my engine anyways to rebuild or replace the heads as it seems my camshaft bearing maybe be getting too worn. (likely neglect on a previous owners part -one more reason to keep up on the cam chain tensioners-)
So for me, while my stator is fine, I'm going to have the engine out and that cover off anyways, so it only makes sense to do this while I have ease of access for possible future needs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts