Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the middle of a stator replacement on my vn750 20003, when I removed the left engine cover, there was a thin washer , does anyone know the purpose of the washer (oil leak prevention, etc) I'm baffled by it myself, as It doesn't seem like it would sit flush against the c-clip on the shifter. Also when I took cover off, it was sitting in the rotor..
Justin
2003 VN750
23000 miles

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry Justin, I don't remember this issue from when I changed my stator back this spring. Good luck. Have you got a good manual or have you looked at the schematics on buykawasaki.com?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The funny thing is, on the parts breakdown schematic on Kawasaki's site, they don't show it, but maybe I'm looking at the wrong place...the engine covers are what I was referencing.

·
Registered
200 Posts
justin said:
In the middle of a stator replacement on my vn750 20003, when I removed the left engine cover, there was a thin washer , does anyone know the purpose of the washer (oil leak prevention, etc) I'm baffled by it myself, as It doesn't seem like it would sit flush against the c-clip on the shifter. Also when I took cover off, it was sitting in the rotor..
Justin
2003 VN750
23000 miles
Justin...I'm pretty sure it goes on the shifter spindle, to sit against the circlip when you put the cover on....that's what it looks like in my Clymer's.
Check the electrical file, and download my Stator notes. They may save you some time. Maybe not, but I hope it's going well for you....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's my problem.....in my haste to reassemble the motor and after a couple of hours getting the engine back onto the frame, I saw that I left the washer off. AHHHHHH....
. Will this screw something up big time or is it just a precautionary thing on Kawasaki's part.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Do you have any play in your shifter lever? If it seems about like what you had before, you might be ok..
Still.. if you have some down time.. might not be a bad idea to get it ALL back together. Hopefully it isn't one of those balancer washers that caused Beavis and Cory so much trouble.. but I don't thing it would have showed up where you found it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input Dianna, as much as this has frustrated me and the hassle of backtracking, I think thats what I will do. First thing is to just stop and wait a couple of weeks, than I'll borrow a motorcycle jack for getting the engine to move out of the frame. The other thing that concerns me is stripping threads on the front engine support bracket, since they seem to be going that way, I know every time I remove the engine I invite more possible problems. I've been worried about oil leaking out by the shifter without that washer in and the prospect of tearing it all apart from scratch again if it does....I've been driving my wife crazy with my indecisiveness. Other than that I did fuse the stator wires and will be installing a volt meter for the dash. I'll post more in a couple weeks when I get back to it.

Thanks again all
Justin

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Yep, that is where mine went.

RB

jm1515 said:
Justin...I'm pretty sure it goes on the shifter spindle, to sit against the circlip when you put the cover on....that's what it looks like in my Clymer's.
Check the electrical file, and download my Stator notes. They may save you some time. Maybe not, but I hope it's going well for you....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright..finally finished, replaced everything the right way this time (with washer in and replaced oil seal), put fuses in line, mounted Volt/clock/temp meter on dash, drove it to work this am. It seems to charge OK when cruising down the road anywhere above 2000 RPM it reads 13.6-13.8V which is barely acceptable. The battery I have in it is about a year old and after charging all night it reads 12.4 volts and charger reads full. Suspect a bad battery? Hopefully I don't ruin stator on way home because of it. Any thoughts?

Justin
On the road again

·
Registered
200 Posts
justin said:
Alright..finally finished, replaced everything the right way this time (with washer in and replaced oil seal), put fuses in line, mounted Volt/clock/temp meter on dash, drove it to work this am. It seems to charge OK when cruising down the road anywhere above 2000 RPM it reads 13.6-13.8V which is barely acceptable. The battery I have in it is about a year old and after charging all night it reads 12.4 volts and charger reads full. Suspect a bad battery? Hopefully I don't ruin stator on way home because of it. Any thoughts?

Justin
On the road again
Justin...did you replace w/ an Electrex stator?
Still using the OEM RR?
If so on both counts, and assuming your battery is good (MaintFree Yuasa or Westco I hope), you should probably see 14v ~14.5v pretty consistently, depending on how you have your meter hooked up (voltage drop).
There's a pretty good, recent discussion of this in the 'Vendors' section in 'My Electrex experience'.
If you have an Electrex RR, you probably will not get past 14v...I never do.
But there is a mod you can do to make your more stable if it starts to go all over the place.
Check it out and let us know...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John, Thanks for the input and I read your thread about your Electrex experience ( that's what I have in my bike). I'm more confused than before, and wondering if I shouldn't just put my old R/R back on the bike. I will try a new battery in a couple days (payday) and see if that doesn't change things because right now I have a year old lead acid type...I want a maintenance free but it's Christmas and my ten kids come first...so it's another lead acid. I'll post when I get the new battery.
thanks again
Justin

·
Registered
200 Posts
justin said:
John, Thanks for the input and I read your thread about your Electrex experience ( that's what I have in my bike). I'm more confused than before, and wondering if I shouldn't just put my old R/R back on the bike. I will try a new battery in a couple days (payday) and see if that doesn't change things because right now I have a year old lead acid type...I want a maintenance free but it's Christmas and my ten kids come first...so it's another lead acid. I'll post when I get the new battery.
thanks again
Justin
Actually, J, if you have a an all-Electrex charging system, I'd say 13.8v is OK @>2000rpm, esp if you you do not have your meter hooked up directly to the battery. I mean directly, thru a switch or relay, and not thru the accessory terms in the headlight or under the right side cover. There's some voltage drop there....

If you went back to the OEM (six wire) RR, you would see more voltage, bc the the stocker has a voltage sensing wire that adds voltage to it's output to the battery, IIRC. If you go to www.electrexusa.com and go thru their general charging system section, you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about. This I observed for myself on the road as I said in my 'Vendors' post. The Electrex RR is not built the same as the stocker...there is some question as to the voltage output, but not necessarily it's quality or capability to regulate your system. Personally, I don't think it puts out the 14v~15v as the the stocker is spec'ed out to.

If you hook your meter directly to the battery, you'll probably get .1 to .2 more V showing on the meter...that's what happened for me. I never get past 14v, but my meter is rock steady (capacitor mod) and is verified by my digi-VOM hooked directly across the battery. 13.8v to just under 14v at all times....

I think when you say you charge your battery all nite and get only 12.4v, you either need to add water to the cells or replace the thing...or make sure your voltmeter is calibrated. I have an analog VDO mounted between the tach/speedo, and I check it twice a year.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've replaced my battery with plain ole lead acid, it seems better than old one. It will read about 12.6 after sitting all night and drop as expected when starting but then go back up. I'm a little concerned that it will only read about 12.5-6 when idleing after it's warmed up. This morning on my way into work, temp was 45 degrees outside and it wouldn't charge past 13.5 going 65-70 mph. I've read varying threads about the battery always charging at 13.5 or more but never less. Am I wrong to be concerned or is Electrex expected to be this way?

Justin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts