Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the stator off the bike, and boy what a pain that was.... Getting ready to reassemble the bike soon and had a few questions regarding the moly 60. Do I pull the shaft out and lube the splines then push it back in and also lube up the part that goes into the bevel case? Does it matter how much you put on? Any other tips or tricks would help!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I take it you didn`t use TuxedoSeven`s engine case mod to avoid pulling the engine for the stator replacement. :(
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839

Here is fergy`s spline lube procedure:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

It approaches the spline lube from the rear wheel not the bevel gear, but since the engine is already out, you can pull the driveshaft out of the swingarm to the front. You can clean out the coupler splines and regrease it with 17ml (about 3 tsp) of Moly60.

You will not be able to clean the pinion spline on the final drive or inspect the O-ring on it with this procedure. Make sure you get the coil spring back inside the coupler before pushing it back through the swingarm to engage the final drive.

If the coupler splines are dry, worn or you see any rusty dust in there, I suggest you pull the rear wheel asap and inspect the splines on the final drive too.

Lube the u-joint and bevel gear/driveshaft connection with moly60 or some spray lube. The bevel gear/driveshaft connection is not subject to the same sliding movement that the rear splines are, so requires just a thin coating of lube.

There are instructions in the Clymer manual. Probably in the Online Kaw manuals at TOC or Kanuck69`s new manual thread too.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17667

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I found the spring everyone talks about under the bike, don't remember seeing it when I took the bevel case off. Where does that go?

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Bump... I will try to take a pic of it soon. I have no idea where it feel from.
Take a look at fergy's spline lube procedure listed in Ol Hoss post above. There are ample pictures there and I believe I took a picture of the final drive spline with the spring still on it. Check page 3 I think. It fits inside the coupler on the end of the driveshaft and over the end of the splines on the final drive

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stator is currently in good hands with Tim, should have it back next week. Then its time for the rebuild.

Here is the picture of the spring I was talking about. It doesn't look like the one on the thrid page of the Spline lube thread.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
No, it doesn`t look like the spring from the spline coupler.:confused:
I don`t recognize it.
There is a smaller cam follower spring on the front bevel gear assembly, but it doesn`t look like the one you show.

Can you post the spring diameter and length measurements?
Did you pull the driveshaft out of the swingarm to do a rear spline lube?
Did you find a spring inside the coupler?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can post the size tomorrow. I have no idea where it came from, I found it under the bike, after I pulled the side cover and I was cleaning up. I did pull shaft out of the swing arm but I didn't see any spring on the other end.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Did you Drain your oil? It almost looks like the spring that holds pressure on the oil screen. you would have the oil screen, washer, spring, and the oil drain plug.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Thinking about it, the oil drain question was kinda dumb, I was just thinking about the spring. How did you drain the oil? Theres a bolt on the bottom of the case, which i just learned about when changing my stator. But on the left side of the case on the bottom is what i use when I change my oil. when you take that oil plug off there should be a spring, if you put your finger inside, there is a washer that comes out and the screen is behind there its tubular shaped. It should come right out after putting your finger in the end and pulling it. I check and clean the screen everytime I change my oil to inspect for any larger pieces of stuff indicating possible internal engine problems. At least i think thats what its for. Was wondering if when you drained your oil the spring fell out and you didnt notice it. I did my stator and the spring you show dont look familiar to me, as far as the side cover and bevel gear case assy.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I did drain the oil, doing a stator replacement. WHere is the oil screen?
Take out the left side oil drain plug, and you should find a washer, spring and long slender tube shaped screen behind it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I drained the oil last year, when I was first going to attempt the change. So when I pulled the bike out of the shed to do the work last month, after we got the motor tilted and I was cleaning up is when I seen it. I drained the oil I think last year using the bolt on the left. I don't recall seeing any springs other then the one with the bevel gear.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
U guys are great. Doubled checked where I drained the oil out last year and the plug wasn't back in it. All that was inside was the strainer. So it appears we solved that mystery.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts