1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone gone through the process of replacing the stator after having
installed the toc cover?

those three wires do not want to budge through that grommet. the stator that's
in the bike now came from rick's motorsports and the grommet was attached to the wires... same goes for the replacement which i'm planning to install.

is there a trick for getting those wires through the grommet or should i
consider just cutting and splicing?

thanks!

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Can't you cut the grommet instead of the wires? Or am I just showing my ignorance because I haven't had to pull my stator yet?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Recon, Rubyrick "hit the nail on the head". What he suggested was exactly the solution I hit upon when I replaced the stator in my bike (with the TOC modification) about ten thousand miles back. You only need to slice one side of the grommet to get the old wires out and the new ones in.

You will, however, want to seal the entire grommet with some RTV silicone sealant, or an equivalent, upon reassembly. Failure to do so will more than likely result in your bike spotting its territory like some blasted Harley every time you park it after a ride----and we wouldn't want that, now would we? Crankcase blow-by WILL force oil fumes, mist and droplets through any opening you omit to seal. Been there, done that. Best of luck to your repair.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
has anyone gone through the process of replacing the stator after having
installed the toc cover?

those three wires do not want to budge through that grommet. the stator that's
in the bike now came from rick's motorsports and the grommet was attached to the wires... same goes for the replacement which i'm planning to install.

is there a trick for getting those wires through the grommet or should i
consider just cutting and splicing?

thanks!
According to TOC you have to cut the wires, instructions below. :beerchug:

http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/Stator_replacement_instructions.htm

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recon, Rubyrick "hit the nail on the head". What he suggested was exactly the solution I hit upon when I replaced the stator in my bike (with the TOC modification) about ten thousand miles back. You only need to slice one side of the grommet to get the old wires out and the new ones in.
hey twtinkertoy. thanks for the response. can you be more specific regarding where to cut? the three wires are grouped together in a triangle going through the grommet. where did you cut?

then i'm guessing you dissected the three wires out of the grommet on the new stator and pulled them through?

any additional details (or even better, pix) would be tremendously helpful.

lance: the wires are stuck in the grommet... just cutting them doesn't actually help get them out.

thanks guys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
A picture truly is worth a thousand words, my friend, but I'm just barely computer literate, so I'll try to explain the procedure instead.

There is one cut to be made from top to bottom (as you look at the grommet mounted on the bike). The cut is made parallel to, and not perpendicular to, the wires. Only cut one side of the grommet; you don't want two separate pieces. Cut down to the first (or outermost) wire, grasp it and pull it to the side (where you made the cut) and down peeling it out of the grommet like you would pull the peel from one side of a banana. This is obviously done after you have the grommet removed from its slot in the cover. Pull the remaining two wires, one at a time, in the same manner out through the slit.

Install the three wires from the new stator back into the grommet; just push the cut apart and insert the wires one at a time, and slide said grommet into its slot in the large stator cover. Don't scrimp with whatever sealant you choose to use; not only around the edges, but also where the three wires come through, as well, and also cover the slice that was made through the grommet. You may think that those wires are jammed together tightly enough not to leak without the sealant-------they are not.

Were we face-to-face, I could show you this procedure in about five seconds flat, but since we must rely on written words, I hope I've been able to express myself coherently and not leave you baffled by my poor communication skills.

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tw, thanks so much for the reply.

here's the thing... unless i'm misunderstanding or we have different sized grommets... this grommet isn't coming out of its slot in the cover. check out the size of the hole in the cover and then check out the size of the grommet on the new stator wires. both the installed stator and the new stator came from rick's motorsports.

i think my only hope is to try loosening the wires within the grommet currently installed in the bike and then try to pull the other ones through.

am i missing something?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
tw, thanks so much for the reply.

here's the thing... unless i'm misunderstanding or we have different sized grommets... this grommet isn't coming out of its slot in the cover. check out the size of the hole in the cover and then check out the size of the grommet on the new stator wires. both the installed stator and the new stator came from rick's motorsports.

i think my only hope is to try loosening the wires within the grommet currently installed in the bike and then try to pull the other ones through.

am i missing something?
I did it the way TOC instructed so you don't have to worry about oil leaks or using a big blob of sealer. The grommet is NOT supposed to come out, you need to cut the old wires near the stator and connect the new wires to them and pull through. You will need to cut the connectors off the new wires a couple inches from the end and remove the grommet.

Once you fish the new wires through the old grommet solder the connectors back on and seal with heat shrink or cut the connector off at the base and replace with new ones.

I soldered the old wire to the new one then pulled it through the grommet. If you have a stubborn old wire that does not want to pull out, cut as close to the grommet on the inside of the cover and give a good yank, it will come out. Then you can use piano wire or solder a smaller size piece of wire to pull it through the grommet.

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did it the way TOC instructed so you don't have to worry about oil leaks or using a big blob of sealer. The grommet is NOT supposed to come out, you need to cut the old wires near the stator and connect the new wires to them and pull through. You will need to cut the connectors off the new wires a couple inches from the end and remove the grommet.

Once you fish the new wires through the old grommet solder the connectors back on and seal with heat shrink or cut the connector off at the base and replace with new ones.

I soldered the old wire to the new one then pulled it through the grommet. If you have a stubborn old wire that does not want to pull out, cut as close to the grommet on the inside of the cover and give a good yank, it will come out. Then you can use piano wire or solder a smaller size piece of wire to pull it through the grommet.
thanks lance. maybe the wires are different on different stators... on the rick's motorsports stators, those three wires are really glued in the grommet tightly. doesn't seem like a yank would get them out, but maybe i'm wrong.

when you were fishing the wires through, had you removed the metal wire from the sheathing and then you just pulled the metal through the existing sheathing which you left in the grommet... or where you pulling the wire through with the sheathing attached?

thanks for your help with this.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
thanks lance. maybe the wires are different on different stators... on the rick's motorsports stators, those three wires are really glued in the grommet tightly. doesn't seem like a yank would get them out, but maybe i'm wrong.

when you were fishing the wires through, had you removed the metal wire from the sheathing and then you just pulled the metal through the existing sheathing which you left in the grommet... or where you pulling the wire through with the sheathing attached?

thanks for your help with this.
Pulled the wire with the sheath, it was not glued to the grommet and came out with no effort.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
This might just be showing my ignorance again, but wouldn't you think that if the wires could easily slide out of the grommet, then fluid could easily seep through between the grommet and the wires as well? I would think that after getting any wires through the grommet that you would need to seal the wires into the grommet to prevent seepage. After all, isn't that what the grommet is for in the first place, to prevent seepage from one side of the grommet to the other?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
This might just be showing my ignorance again, but wouldn't you think that if the wires could easily slide out of the grommet, then fluid could easily seep through between the grommet and the wires as well? I would think that after getting any wires through the grommet that you would need to seal the wires into the grommet to prevent seepage. After all, isn't that what the grommet is for in the first place, to prevent seepage from one side of the grommet to the other?
If you have a 1.0mm hole in the rubber grommet and a 2mm jacketed copper wire in that hole, there is enough compression from the grommet to seal the wire but not enough to prevent linear movement when a small amount of force is applied.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
If you have a 1.0mm hole in the rubber grommet and a 2mm jacketed copper wire in that hole, there is enough compression from the grommet to seal the wire but not enough to prevent linear movement when a small amount of force is applied.
Sounds logical, and well stated.

·
rider
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey everyone.

just wanted to share my success story... not complete success... hopefully that is coming later today... but i have won the battle of getting the stator wires through the grommet.

lance was a tremendous help on this one. thank you, sir.

i did not have to remove the grommet. even though the rick's motorsports stator comes with a grommet attached to the three stator leads, the glue which secured the leads in there broke after a few smooth back and forth pushes/pulls on the leads using needle nose pliers.

once those leads were loose in the grommet, i stripped about a 1/4" of bare wire on both the existing leads and the leads on the new stator. i fanned out the wire strands on each side and then cut about half of them off on each lead. i then twisted the two ends together and smoothed out a layer of solder on them. the solder was enough to hold the wires together during the pulling process.

so... i have the new stator wires through the existing grommet. next i have to bolt everything in place, connect the bullet connectors to the new stator leads, and test everything out.

thanks again for the help, everyone. really appreciate it. if anyone is attempting this process and has any questions, definitely hit me up.

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Good Job! Can I ask another dumb question which will probably show my ignorance once again, since I haven't had to change my stator yet. Why thread the new wires through an existing grommet instead of swapping out the old grommet for the new? Is it not the correct size or shape?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Good Job! Can I ask another dumb question which will probably show my ignorance once again, since I haven't had to change my stator yet. Why thread the new wires through an existing grommet instead of swapping out the old grommet for the new? Is it not the correct size or shape?
You pull the engine and remove the stator cover to replace the grommet, which defeats the purpose of the TOC cover.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts