Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a question about removing my old stator. I've removed the housing containing the stator, and I've removed the three hex head bolts which hold the stator to the housing. But the stator seems to be stuck fast to the housing. My instinct is to give it a sharp whack to break it free. I'm just wondering, have I missed something?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Yes, this tool.
Motion Pro 08-0116 Flywheel Puller M18X1.5 R.H. External Thread

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009J7O7J0/ref=asc_df_B009J7O7J03158404?smid=A3E01TT185XJY3&tag=pgmp-47-100-20&linkCode=df0&creative=395109&creativeASIN=B009J7O7J0

Tho, NewRider9984 has gotten Stator off without the tool (pry bars & soft hammer)
EDIT: when removing Stator, Be aware, not to lose Key-way key.
Good Luck
:smiley_th

Just a question about removing my old stator. I've removed the housing containing the stator, and I've removed the three hex head bolts which hold the stator to the housing. But the stator seems to be stuck fast to the housing. My instinct is to give it a sharp whack to break it free. I'm just wondering, have I missed something?

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
you shouldnt need that to remove the stator from the cover, give me a minute and I'll go look at mine as it is apart for the second time now!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
yup, those 3 hex bolts should release the stator from the cover, I wouldnt whack it to hard and maybe spray some pb busters on it since you are replacing it anyways. if you are going to have the old one rewound I would tap it in the center and not on the protrusions and bend them

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Gotta agree with WIB on this one. While William Tech is an honored member and a "Master with the Redheads" (actually WT prefers blue haired punk rock fat chicks with nose rings) I suspect he is thinking about the Rotor which is the magnetized housing which the stator spins inside of. gently pry or tap the stator off the housing (generally they just pull out after removing the 3 bolts). All of this assumes you haven't just pulled the round stator cover off and are instead another layer down and have tilted (or removed) your engine and removed the housing the stator is attached to.
Have a nice day!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I thought I'd ask before doing something stupid.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Could be "glued" in place by old oil residue...

If your replacing/discarding the old stator, and are VERY careful, I don't see that a few light taps with a rubber mallet should do too much damage.

Just bear in mind that the cover the stator is attached to is cast aluminum and is not very strong to begin with...

Of course, hitting it is last resort if the PB Blaster or other such penetrating fluid would be the best first option.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
yup, my bad ....misread the question. Sorry
:smiley_th

Gotta agree with WIB on this one. While William Tech is an honored member and a "Master with the Redheads" (actually WT prefers blue haired punk rock fat chicks with nose rings) I suspect he is thinking about the Rotor which is the magnetized housing which the stator spins inside of. gently pry or tap the stator off the housing (generally they just pull out after removing the 3 bolts). All of this assumes you haven't just pulled the round stator cover off and are instead another layer down and have tilted (or removed) your engine and removed the housing the stator is attached to.
Have a nice day!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts