Does you bike have original stator?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This yielded some interesting results almost three years ago, thought it would be worth another round.

Jon

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've got a 2000 model with almost 22,000 miles. I'm on my 3rd r/r, but still have the original stator.

**finds some wood to knock on**

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
My scoot has had at least two previous owners and I didn`t get any service records when I purchased it with about 12,000 miles on the clock. My feeling though, is that no major work has ever been done to the bike, over and above regular servicing. It is stock except for the addition of a windshield.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Original 24 year old stator and r/r w/12,000 on the clock. The speedo cable was broke when I got it so who knows how many mile are on it. :motorcycl

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
AS far as I know the original stator and R/R are still on mine. I bought it in February and I don't remember the PO saying anything about either being replaced. I'm the forth owner with 22,000 on her. Lance just help me wire up my volt gauge last night and it reads 13v @ 3,000RPM wired into the headlight bucket.

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
When I got it, as far as I could tell, everything was original except for the pegs.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
My bike is an '88 with 18k on it. I haven't done a stator (yet), but I don't know if it was done by a PO either.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
When I sold mine with 21,000 it was original. Now I don't know.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
3rd Stator Finally Right (I Hope)

Bought mine new in 04. Put 11,000 miles on it and had to replace the stator! Put an electrosport stator in it and had to replace it after another 10,000 or so. But that might be because I burned up an RR unit--who knows what caused what?
I replaced the RR, the junction box (it had some heat showing), the stator--all with Kawasaki replacement parts. Interestingly, the Kawasaki replacement stator was put together differently than the one that was on the bike when I bought it. The original one had the multistrand wiring clamped to the stator wiring--no solder and all three were stacked up on each other with insulation between them, and insulation sock around all of them. A perfect way to build heat. That is what heated--those joints, as seen on the stator windings where the insulation turned black just far enough back into the stator to short it. The rest of the windings were fine. But that much was all it took.
The Kawasaki replacement stator windings were clamped AND soldered so they did not create as much heat. And they were staggered so they did not add heat to each other. That is the way it should have been built to start with. And any bike that has a long-lasting stator probably has one like that.
I put new RR up in front, using heavy gauge wiring--one size larger than OE. I also put an oil cooler on the bike to keep the stator's coolant (engine oil) down to a reasonable temp.
I have close to 38,000 miles and seem to have a good system working now. Voltmeter shows a consistent voltage range for the past 2 years--all kinds of weather and riding.

·
McGyver
25 Posts
Still on original stator,22000 miles
R/R was still good after relocating but I just replaced it ($44.95 shipped,brand new kawasaki oem) because one of the terminals on the regulator was about rotted off from battery acid, still works tho,I was just worried it might break completely off while riding one day and leaving me stranded,
I keep my old one in my saddlebag for a backup tho.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bought my '05 in April last year with 7390 miles. I am second owner and the first actually registered bike with Kawa when he bought, so service records were available. The "Super Scooter" has its original stator and now 22,372 miles on odometer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts