Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I’m in the middle of changing the stator on a 04 vn750 I’m doing the engine tilt since I’m working alone and was wondering do I need to remove the swing arm to the room for the engine to be removed looks like I do but I am not completely sure thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
No no no. That's just unnecessary work. I didn't even remove the bevel gear or the carbs and exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
Oh, I did get the airbox out of the way, makes a huge difference. Took it out in one piece, but you have to disconnect the wiring harness from the rear and take the harness out of the frame. Most people just saw it into pieces and do the earshave.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, I did get the airbox out of the way, makes a huge difference. Took it out in one piece, but you have to disconnect the wiring harness from the rear and take the harness out of the frame. Most people just saw it into pieces and do the earshave.
Okay so what all do I need off then and does the air box have to come off or no?

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
It's a lot simpler with the airbox gone. I can't say about doing it with the airbox in place.

I suggest reading threads about the engine tilt, all the info should be there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay thank you at this time I believe I’m keeping the air box stock since it’s my first bike and I’m learning to ride this winter I need to let carbs cleaned so I’m sure I’ll just do the whole ear shave since they’ll need to be re jetted anyway

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I don't believe in an automatic re-jet just for changing air filters. Mine runs fine with stock jets. Can't imagine it running any better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So as it should just be as easy pulling the box and putting pods on? I’ll have to definitely look into that

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well perfect looks like tomorrow I’ll take the air box off and go get some pods what size and such for the pods? If you don’t mind answering my one last question lol

·
Registered
7,970 Posts
I used UNI PK92 filters, not as sexy as k&n, but 1/3 the cost, foam, not gauze.

·
2,521 Posts
I've done the stator without removing the airbox. I think I pulled the carbs to make more room but don't remember for sure, that was years ago. Make sure you spray the exhaust manifold bolts good with a good penetrating oil before removing the exhaust. Last thing you want to do is strip a nut or bolt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all I’m in the middle of changing the stator on a 04 vn750 I’m doing the engine tilt since I’m working alone and was wondering do I need to remove the swing arm to the room for the engine to be removed looks like I do but I am not completely sure thanks in advance for the help!
I didn't, I removed the removable portion of the frame only, then leaned the engine over. It wasn't that simple
but it worked.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did the same last year. Used a floor jack with a 2x4 and a ratchet strap to swing the motor out through the removable section. Exhaust, air, and oil line removed was the majority. Smashed the air box a bit.

While I was in there I did damper bushings, the TOC mcct and side cover in case I needed to do stator again.

Hardest parts were getting it apart with a puller and back in with the drive shaft.

In hind sight I should have removed the motor completely because the side of the frame that doesn't come apart was a pain to work around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts