Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced stator today and bike want start. It was running before tare down. I can use starter fluid in carb and starts for a min. trying to trace wires down now any ideas. its weird i pull gas tank off and gas isn't flowing out of peacock with it on, on reserve or off is it supposed to be pressurize to carb

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Without vacuum from the line running to the carb, gas will not flow. You may need to pull the vacuum line off the carb and suck on it to fill the carbs with gas. Note, you will not get a mouthful of gas doing this.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I had to prime mine, would idle but not rev, then I found the one hose I left off and all was good!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I believe the peacock is messed up. i can get it to crank now but it wont rev up like it starved for gas. gas should run out with fuel lines off right, but it doesnt . can you take it apart without new seals being bought

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
No, gas will not come out of the petcock unless there is a vacuum applied to the vacuum line. It is a vacuum actuated petcock, NOT a gravity feed.

When the engine is running, the carb constantly places a vacuum on the petcock. The gas left in the carb when you shut it down is what starts the bike the next time you crank it.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Vacuum line goes to middle nipple on the petcock.

If you have one of the early models (1985 to `87 or`88) with PRI (prime) on the petcock, that position will fill the carbs without vacuum being applied. All other models require vacuum to operate RUN or RES, and have no prime position.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there a line going to fuel gauge box underneath gas tank. there's no hose hooked up to it and there is a hose that sticking out near right ear that smells of gas. dont remember either being hook up.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
No, no hose there. But there is a drain hose that fits onto the nipple protruding from the rear of the tank.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
No, no hose there. But there is a drain hose that fits onto the nipple protruding from the rear of the tank.
mine had a hose there ,but why i don't know,it just hung down towards the emissions junk used to live!

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Hmm. I was wondering why there was a nipple on that little box. Guess if mine had one it disappeared before I got the bike. Actually, it's missing from both my bikes!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hmm. I was wondering why there was a nipple on that little box. Guess if mine had one it disappeared before I got the bike. Actually, it's missing from both my bikes!
I believe the hose that comes off the fuel gauge/float unit is for drain if the unit breaks internally. There are seals in there and if one fails you don't want gas running down over the engine.

tickman. Is there any way that you may have crosses a couple hoses when replacing things? There are pics somewhere that shows the order of the hoses that may help. I am experiencing a problem with no fuel to the left carb and rebuilt the petcock with no change. Mine is internal and possibly yours also if you bounced the carbs around and dislodged something while disassembling the motor. Just suggestions tho I am still in the dark about mine until I take off the carbs but throwing things out to consider.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was riding bike short distances before tare down. after messing with petcock i now can ride my bike but cant sustain 1000 rpm idle. with the adjustment screw turn all the way clockwise and the chock at 1/2 to 1/4 open i can get it to idle around 1000 but seens to be irregular up and down untill chock out . I checked all air lines . Looks like a gas or a air problem.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can i tare the petcock apart and clean it without buying new seals. Thats what i leaning to since the idle screw has to be crank up.

·
Premium Member
4,769 Posts
Can i tare the petcock apart and clean it without buying new seals. Thats what i leaning to since the idle screw has to be crank up.
Yes, if the seals, etc., are still good after you clean it. I still think the carb's not clean.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts