Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

stator, r/r problem

823 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  JETHRO 
#1 ·
Hi all , The sun has finally returned across the pond so unwrapped the VN 750 and went for a 20 mile ride,When i got back the wiring had melted on the r/r connector so swapped the r/r for a cheap chinese one and that blew after 5 minutes .I have checked the stator and seems ok but i am only getting 20-40 amps off each leg so do you think this is a bad stator ? I am going to put on a mosfet r/r so dont want to damage that one as well. Has anyone got any input on this . Thanks JETHRO

#2 ·
If you meant 20-40 volts AC, it's right in the ballpark. Does the stator pass all the ohm tests? Same results when it's hot?

Should do all the ohm tests on the r/r, sounds like it may be shorting out some way. If the r/r passes the tests, running the 12v positive straight (with a fuse) from the r/r to the battery will get it away from Junction Box gremlins. A MOSFET setup will also do that.

#3 ·
40VAC seems a bit low. I'm used to seeing 55VAC+ @ 5k rpm.. or am I being too optimistic?

If it's not grounding out when hot, and passes the other tests, it's probably fine. Maybe I'm used to specs from TPE rewinds.

#4 ·
ok sorry i did mean ac volts ,I checked when cold with stator disconnected from r/r so i will do hot test .thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.