Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Waitin2Ride
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I ask my question, I have to say this... This forum is GREAT! It has already helped me on the long road to getting my bike where it needs to be. The advice on the carb screws has helped out tremendously. Since the bike I bought has....not aftermarket, more like after-a-few-beers, exhaust, she seemed to not be running to full capacity, and the carb screw setting worked on throttle response and cured up (since it was turned out WAY too far) the jumpy throttle at cruising speeds. So THANK YOU ALL for having this forum.

That being said, on to my question. I knew my regulator was bad, and replacing it helped, and my stator is bad too (it's getting replaced next week). Can a bad stator cause the bike to not perform well at high rpm's? When I get down on my throttle, it seems like I am peddling a bike...it just doesn't get up and go like I think it should and it has more trouble getting past 5k rpm's to 6k. Any thoughts?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness M.

Finding and fixing electrical grelims is not really my forte, but common sense leads me to think higher rpms will draw more power than lower engine speeds. If the stator is not putting out enough current to keep the battery charged and power the ignition too, your problem sounds like a possible result.

Hopefully slimvulcanrider, or one of the other electrical gurus will chime in here soon. :)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
just a thought but check that the carb vent tube is out of the wind

that is if the stator doesnt fix the problem

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I neglected in my first post to recommend installing a voltmeter to know exactly what your charging system is doing, especially when the engine bogs down.
Having a voltmeter will give you advance warning of low voltage and possible problems before the battery dies on the road. Always a good thing.:)

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I neglected in my first post to recommend installing a voltmeter to know exactly what your charging system is doing, especially when the engine bogs down.
Having a voltmeter will give you advance warning of low voltage and possible problems before the battery dies on the road. Always a good thing.:)
x2 ! :smiley_th

WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a r&r and stator go within 2 weeks of each other, had similar symptoms, it would be fine sometimes, other times it would be underpowered, im talking WFO (wide f*c*ing open) it wouldnt break 50mph. R&R and fresh plugs and wires helped that

·
Registered
458 Posts
You mentioned your getting your stator replaced, are you doing it ? If so where are you getting the replacement stator ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts