Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
might already know the answer to this but, my 86 Vulcan 750 is having charging issues, tested the stator, equal resistance across all 3 phases, no short to ground. Running ac voltage a&b is 50 at 3500, a&c is 50, but b &c is 15 volts, bad stator or bad connection? Tested at the r&r plug not the bullet connectors

·
Registered
102 Posts
That sounds like your stator is fine. Check your DC voltage at above 3k rpms vs at idle. It should increase to around 13.5-14 iirc and not jump higher

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
might already know the answer to this but, my 86 Vulcan 750 is having charging issues, tested the stator, equal resistance across all 3 phases, no short to ground. Running ac voltage a&b is 50 at 3500, a&c is 50, but b &c is 15 volts, bad stator or bad connection? Tested at the r&r plug not the bullet connectors
if those readings are correct, then stator is toast. B&C should be approx the same as other pairs.

did you disconnect the r/r before the test? if not, retest with regulator disconnected. if voltage is correct then the r/r is bad. if the 3 voltages are correct (or at least close to each other) the stator is probably ok

·
Registered
8,251 Posts
Shouldn't the AC voltage be checked between each stator lead and ground? Versus between each stator lead.

Edit: Answer is no, I checked Denny's guide. Odd, the AC voltage test doesn't appear to be in the repair manual.

Tests should be done with the R/R disconnected, however.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Check the resistance of the yellow wires. at the bullet connectors. It should be the same. The AC voltage should also be the same for all 3 wires. If it isn't, the stator is bad. With everything hooked up, engine running, and a fully charged battery, the voltage at the battery should be at least 14.5V When I put the rewound stator in my 2003, it was very close to 15V.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts