Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might already know the answer to this but, my 86 Vulcan 750 is having charging issues, tested the stator, equal resistance across all 3 phases, no short to ground. Running ac voltage a&b is 50 at 3500, a&c is 50, but b &c is 15 volts, bad stator or bad connection? Tested at the r&r plug not the bullet connectors

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Did you know you posted this twice? What (if any) is the resistance between any combination of the 3 yellow wires? The AC voltage of 50 VAC is about right, but 15 VAC shows you have a bad coil or bad connection to the coil. Odd the OHMs are the same across all 3 and the voltage is not. I would unplug the bullet connectors (they may break if they have been overheating, that's one of my theories about what is killing the stators. To much resistance at the bullet connectors) and get your readings directly from the 3 yellow wires coming out of the engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I remember correctly, resistance was 4.5 ohms across all 3 fields, really puzzled about the difference between a,c and b,c

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
12.4V is way to low at the battery at 3000 RPM. It should be over 14V. It's not charging at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts