Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have a new to me bike, that was not charging the battery. Following the troubleshooting, it was pretty quick to determine a bad stator when all three elads showed solid continuity. Luckily the bike already had what I believe is the Tuxedo mod done. So it only took me about 15 minutes to pull the stator. What a mess. Looks burnt pretty bad, you can even smell that burnt electric smell. So obviously I will be ordering a new stator (any suggestions on where to order best quality replacement appreciated). One concern I have is that the inside of the cup the stator sits is now scored up pretty bad (see Picture), should this be a concern and if so what is the fix? Thanks

Bill

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Ouch, that stator is TOAST!

Talk to Tim Parrot @ www.tpe-usa.com - he rebuilds stators and they're much better quality than a cheap Chinese one would be. That's probably what that one is!

At least the tuxedo mod was done prior. I had the same luck when I got my bike.. saved me a ton of time. I put a TPE stator in it with a MOSFET R/R and all has been well since.

I'd wipe the crud off the rotor as well so it doesn't get in the engine / oil.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Ouch...been there done that..

First, make sure your mod plate is CORRECT and is done right!!
it looks like the stator had been rubbing on the rotor??
If so then the stator isn't getting centered in there.

And YES go with TPE Tim Parrott Enterprises...he stands behind his work and his stators are the BEST

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
it looks like the stator had been rubbing on the rotor??
The scraping may have been from all that nasty stuff flaking off, and getting between the stator and rotor. Worth checking if it's centered, but who would re-assemble the bike if it was scraping? Then again.. POs do all sorts of stupid things.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After doing some research, I think I want to replace the rotor as scored up as this one is. There are some used ones on ebay for fairly cheap. I don't have a service manual yet, is replacing the rotor as easy as removing the center bolt, pulling it and replacing it? Also will any year rotor fit my bike (2005)?
Will definitely go with TPE.

As far as the stator rubbing, when I install a new one, I assume I should just turn the engine without the cover on and watch for any rubbing?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
After doing some research, I think I want to replace the rotor as scored up as this one is. There are some used ones on ebay for fairly cheap. I don't have a service manual yet, is replacing the rotor as easy as removing the center bolt, pulling it and replacing it? Also will any year rotor fit my bike (2005)?
Will definitely go with TPE.

As far as the stator rubbing, when I install a new one, I assume I should just turn the engine without the cover on and watch for any rubbing?
I replaced the balance dampers on mine, which are right behind the stator rotor.

You'll have to pull the engine to get the side cover off (pull it, or tilt it to the side). You then need to use a flywheel puller to pop the rotor out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flywheel-Rotor-Puller-ZX-750-VN750-VULCAN-16-X-1-5mm-/181150737217?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a2d6ce341&vxp=mtr

It's not the most fun job in the world, but I did my engine pull and bolted it back in in the same day.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have worked with Tim Parrot and will be shipping the stator off Monday for rebuild. Also replacing the rotor due to the gouges. I'm wondering if maybe it would be worth it to undo the tuxedo mod while it's torn apart so that I know the new one will be centered correctly, or if it's not centered will all I need is a new center plate? Really want to make sure it's put back correctly as I don't want to do this again.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
So I have worked with Tim Parrot and will be shipping the stator off Monday for rebuild. Also replacing the rotor due to the gouges. I'm wondering if maybe it would be worth it to undo the tuxedo mod while it's torn apart so that I know the new one will be centered correctly, or if it's not centered will all I need is a new center plate? Really want to make sure it's put back correctly as I don't want to do this again.
You won't have to 'undo' the stator mod. When you get the new stator in, put it on the bracket and see if it lines up. If it doesn't, follow the tuxedo mod instructions on how to fab the plate. I think someone also made some to order on here, not sure if they're still doing it.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Hey, sorry your having such a bad experience with your new scoot.
I actually have a spare rotor I got from a combined purchase.
If you want it ill ship it to you for $35. The only thing that needs mentioned is
Where the woodruff key goes is slightly worn. Very usable though.
I'd confidently install it in my machine.

Let me know.

Edit:I have a stator that needs rewound. $45 ill Abel them both to you.
As the post below here noted. Your stator is probably beyond shot!

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Sense the stator and the drum have been rubbing together and the drum in worn, is the stator not worn/pitted/grooved also. TPE may not be able to rebuild it if it is. NOW, with that said, where is the mending/mounting plate. It should be bolted to the stator and the engine cut out casing. Did it have one or did someone just put the stator/inside casing back in the hole and put the outside cover on. That stator has been rub all the way around and not just on one spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
kanuck69, thanks for the offer, I would have taken you up on it however I already grabbed one off ebay, thanks anyways.

Chuck A., yes there was a mounting plate (pic below). I have already sent TPE pics of the stator, he is aware it was rubbing but said go ahead and send it. If he can't repair it that's ok, I'll just go from there and get a new one somewhere. I'm in no big hurry, and enjoy projects, plus it's something for the wife to give me grief about, which is always a good thing right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, sorry your having such a bad experience with your new scoot.
I actually have a spare rotor I got from a combined purchase.
If you want it ill ship it to you for $35. The only thing that needs mentioned is
Where the woodruff key goes is slightly worn. Very usable though.
I'd confidently install it in my machine.

Let me know.

Edit:I have a stator that needs rewound. $45 ill Abel them both to you.
As the post below here noted. Your stator is probably beyond shot!
(Hmm replied yesterday but not showing up)

Appreciate the offer, But I already purchased a used rotor off ebay before I saw your post, and I am shipping my stator to TPE. I'll let him judgge if it's in too bad of shape, if so I'm just gonna get a new one.

So I haven't even had the bike a week and it's in pieces in the garage. Didn't really have any issues getting it torn down, just waiting on the rotor puller and parts now. Just gotta figure out how to avoid the wifes comments now :)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Just looking at the post#1 picture. What does the inside case mending plate look like? It should all be bolted together with the case cutout and the stator.
It did have plate something like this right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is the plate as I removed it. It was bolted in. However I don't trust that it was done correctly and am just going to order a plate from gcextreme

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Just gotta figure out how to avoid the wifes comments now
Hide the checkbook, get all the mail as soon as it arrives, say nothing when asked, deny, deny, deny, or just say, I don't recall. ;) Of course we know, we're never in the clear, even if they say so.

My riding buddy bought a bike, so his wife bought a house in Florida to make it even. Then she bought her son a 2013 Mustang and paid him $11k for a pickup he totaled out, and she had already paid $11k it for once when she bought it for him. Kid doesn't even have a license due to the 4th DUI.

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Here is the plate as I removed it. It was bolted in. However I don't trust that it was done correctly and am just going to order a plate from gcextreme

Yeah does anyone else agree that plate looks like crap and the holes seem way too big and probably too much slop in them??

My plates are much nicer and since i use a sidecover to make them they are a 100% perfect fit...and they are polished stainless steel....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hide the checkbook, get all the mail as soon as it arrives, say nothing when asked, deny, deny, deny, or just say, I don't recall. ;) Of course we know, we're never in the clear, even if they say so.

Oh I know how that goes. I have a Jeep TJ that sucked my wallet dry with mods, I bought the bike to save on gas (yeah that reason really worked with her), but now it's in pieces with more and more items being bought. She now refers to it as the mini-jeep:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
That plate looks gross. My old boss was bicycle mad, he had to have the best Carbon Fibre framed latest whatever, he had them delivered to work and would only take them home after a while. If his wife said "is that another new bike?" he would look her straight in the eye and reply "no dear, I've had it for ages"

1 - 20 of 22 Posts