Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been wanting to do something like this, Fergy gave me the idea. I am going to compile a spread sheet with some data and find out if there is a common thread with stator failure. I will also do this on the y! forum

1) Avg distance per trip (like in one day, not just the on/off cycle)
a. <10
b.10-30
c.30-100
d.100+

2)How often is your bike ridden
a. every day!
b.2-3 times a week
c.1-7 times a month
d.sesonal...please elaborate

3) Where do you live.

4) what temperatures do u experian while ridding

5)Traffic conditions
a. heavy
b. mixed
c. highway

**Added**

What types of Battery/Stator/RR issues experianced and mileage. What electrical mods done i.e. degoated, moved r/r ect

·
Registered
299 Posts
Hey HIZZO3 I do not understand what you are trying to acomplish? How long a stator lasts??? Any thing electrical can go at any time.Im going to check my charging system I do not believe you need to have your bike revved out to 5000 rpms to charge the battery as it stated in a previous thread. the bike should be charging as soon as it is running.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well i am trying to test a theroy. I believe that the vulcan's cooling system/insulation in stator is sub par. This is causing the stator to over heat and short. I've noticed more complaints of shorted stators in the southern regions where it is hotter. So i instead of guessing, wanted to find a route cause. And since i dont have the $$$ nor the time to conduct the tests... ya'll have already conducted them for me. All i need is the data. And no, anything electrical can go at anytime, but there is a Mean Failure Rate. This is the average time till failure under favreable conditions.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Guess I'll start things off .....

1. Avg distance per trip (like in one day, not just the on/off cycle)
    a. <10
    b.10-30
    c.30-100
    d.100+
  2. How often is your bike ridden
    a. every day!
    b.2-3 times a week
    c.1-7 times a month (sometimes more, depends on work)
  3. Where do you live.
    Northeastern US. (PA)
  4. what temperatures do u experiance while ridding
    Outside Temp or bike temp ??
    Outside-average 70° (have ridden when 40° to just below 100°)
    Bike Temp- never been over 1/2 on temp gauge

5. Traffic conditions
    a. heavy
    b. mixed
    c. highway
Good luck on the theory Hiz !

·
Registered
78 Posts
c.30-100

b.2-3 times a week (sometimes more)

3) Where do you live.
NJ

4) what temperatures do u experian while ridding
35 F thru low 100s (dry, humid, and wet)

5)Traffic conditions
b. mostly highway (some mixed)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Avg distance per trip (like in one day, not just the on/off cycle)

d.100+

How often is your bike ridden
a. every day! almost

Where do you live.
Northeastern US. (ME)

what temperatures do u experiance while ridding
Outside Temp or bike temp ??
Outside-average 70° (have ridden when 50ish° to just below 90ish°)
Bike Temp- never been over 1/2 on temp gauge

Traffic conditions

c. highway mostly, only occasionally in town

Wouldn't this info be helpful also?
Trouble with stater or R/R to date?
None so far. Have MF battery. '01 model with almost 4000 miles on it. Got it with 1967 miles on it in July. Use semi-synth oil, changed at 2550.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
a. <10
b.10-30
c.30-100 <----------------
d.100+

a. every day! <-----------------------
b.2-3 times a week
c.1-7 times a month

3) Where do you live. Central Texas

4) what temperatures do u experian while ridding Summer 80-100+, Winter 20-80.

5)Traffic conditions
a. heavy
b. mixed
c. highway Mostly country roads, close to highway speed 55-70.

no stator failures or r/r failures so far; r/r relocated; no add on electricals; MF battery;

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
1. b.10-30

2. b.2-3 times a week

3. Chicago area

4. 45F to 100 Humid to dry

5. b. mixed

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I'd like to know if there's a correlation between taxing the elec system (having a lot of add-ons) and stator failure. Has anyone ever noticed a pattern like that?

Mark

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If anything taxing the electrical at the 4K+ rpm range is benificial, as it reduces the waste the r/r must burn off, while below 3500 rpms, its bad as it may not charge the battery. I hope that answers your quesiton mark.

*****Added an important question: "What types of Battery/Stator/RR issues experianced. What electrical mods done i.e. degoated, moved r/r ect."

I kinda need that to figure out failure rate based off riding types and temperature ranges.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
The elec system will produce more or less current depending on the rpms and possibly some other factors like heat.

If there are a lot of elec add-ons that push the bike to its electrical limits, I'm wondering if the bike will sometimes be charging the battery and sometimes (like at stop lights) the bike would be using the battery.

I'm wondering if that puts a strain on the system - as opposed to a system where the stator is always producing more current than needed.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well this system is very simmilar to the systems in old and i mean old like <50's cars. Remember how when driving long distances they told you to run your headlights to keep from cooking the battery?

Yes this bike does a total drain (this means no current is being produced form the gen) untill about 2500 rpm. that is why many of us have our assceories switched. that way when we are city driving we turn them off. And since our system produces so little juice (350 watts max) heat is almost of no concern of lost production. That will only reduce max 10%. Also the 350 watts is like at 5k rpm. so at crusing speed you are losing about 20 watts as heat. heat plays a role in large scale production.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts