Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I decided to go on a long ride over Memorial Day weekend and the bike died about 40 miles into the trip. Luckily it was in my sister in law's home town, so her fiancé was able to trailer the bike back home for me. When it initially died, I was on a hill and I was able to pop start it and got an extra 2 miles and almost made it to their house. When we took the seat off, the battery was at 8v. It is a AGM battery that is probably a year old. The bike has the ignition problem where it dies if you turn the handlebars to the right, so I will be taking the tank off to see if the connectors are corroded, or there's not enough slack in the wiring harness. This morning I decided to take the bike to work, so I charged up the battery to full power, and when I took off the charger I saw it was at 12.7v. I used the choke to get the RPM's up to 4k, and it stayed at 12.7v at all RPM's. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
It should increase voltage above 3K rpms. First thing I’d do is disconnect the 3 stator lead bullet connectors and test the stator. With the bike off go with one lead and test between the lead and the engine block. You should NOT have continuity between the two, do this for each lead and if any show continuity then the stator is grounded out. If it passes then we can move on to testing the wiring and the r/r etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts