Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i used a scroll saw to cut the center out. kept some oil on the scroll saw blade to keep it from braking only used one blade i think it was a 7 pin end blade. cut at medium speed stop to let blade cool for 5 to 10 seconds. took about 2 minutes to cut. used a kids compass to mark the circle. there is just enough room to fit the cover in the scroll saw so it doesnt hit while cutting. i cut with outside facing down. cleaned the shavings out with air nozzle. then rinsed the rest out with a water house and dried really good. Glenn's mod kit test fit really good i just need to grind the ribs on the stator cover. oh yeah and need a new stator when my wife gives me my allowance lol.

Attachments

·
Glenn C.
1,628 Posts
Looks good...should work great....u cut out a tad more than i did on mine..but it should be fine...
As for the stator go with a TPE one..Tim Parrot Enterprises..his are the best.

Oh and i think i might move this to the Electrical section...since all the other stator stuff is there..

---------

Moved it...

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i thought the pictures may help someone who might have to do the same

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
since I've done the stator mod and have all new gaskets and dampers would i be able to put the engine back together and on the bike while waiting for a new stator. if so will it be hard to get the wires through the rubber grommet?

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
since I've done the stator mod and have all new gaskets and dampers would i be able to put the engine back together and on the bike while waiting for a new stator. if so will it be hard to get the wires through the rubber grommet?

If cut properly, Grommet, should not be a big problem.
That's what the mod allows you to do, a quick easy Stator removal/install.
:smiley_th

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I sent my stator to TPE with the grommet, and it came back with the grommet installed.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I sent my stator to TPE with the grommet, and it came back with the grommet installed.
Yes, same here, with a New Grommet.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
As far as routing goes, you'll want to watch all the wires inside the case to be sure they can't contact the rotor. I used mini zipties to keep them together and made sure they were in the slot below the grommet.

I also re-routed the wires over the trans instead of under the side case and clutch arm.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I sent a spare stator to Tim and when it came back rewound it looked solid, but for some reason he sent it back with a new grommet that is way too big for the case. This seems to be routine, but I would have preferred to have my old grommet back.

I am trying to either get the old grommet from someone or see if I can modify it to fit the existing case.

How are you dealing with this issue??

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
My grommet fit really well, a little RTV and it sealed well.

Depending on how much rubber you have to work with... Shave it with a Dremel?

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i put the original grommet back in before i did that i ran the old wires through to tie the new wires to so i can pull them through. when Tim does my stator I'm going to tell him to just leave the new grommet off. i think that will be easier. or should be any opinions on this would be good.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I just didn't have any problems with the grommet TPE supplied. Think I'd rather have a new one, as long as it fits.

KC, you might try contacting Tim and see if you can get the correct one sent to you.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
most of the mod pics and videos show the slot on the cover has to get widened for the new grommet.
I will try to get a photo of the one he sent with the rewound stator.

I prefer to get the original one back....working on it, but it's not likely he still has it.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
My apologies to the OP.......sorry to jack the thread!

I am dry fitting mine for when I ever have to do this mod.
The grommet is correct...I was trying to push it into the slots incorrectly....my BAD!!

Can someone post a photo or explain the stator wire routing INSIDE the cover??

Does this look correct or do my wires end in the wrong place? If I rotate the stator clockwise or counter clockwise to the next set of holes to align, the wire is too short to fit the grommet into the slot.

I would think the wires should end at the 2 O'clock position in the below photo and run to the left and over the tab to the grommet slot...no?

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Mine didn't have the gray insulation between the grommet and stator. The uncovered wires ran behind the tab, through the slot, then on to the stator and pickup coils. Where are your pickup coil wires? The grommets have to stack. I think the p/u wires went in first.

Seems like the area with the gray insulation, in your pic, would be awfully close to the spinning rotor.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
I would have the stator loose, slide the wires into the slot, place the grommet, then bolt the stator exactly where you have it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My apologies to the OP.......sorry to jack the thread!

I am dry fitting mine for when I ever have to do this mod.
The grommet is correct...I was trying to push it into the slots incorrectly....my BAD!!

Can someone post a photo or explain the stator wire routing INSIDE the cover??

Does this look correct or do my wires end in the wrong place? If I rotate the stator clockwise or counter clockwise to the next set of holes to align, the wire is too short to fit the grommet into the slot.

I would think the wires should end at the 2 O'clock position in the below photo and run to the left and over the tab to the grommet slot...no?

no problem, you're questions may help someone else. by no means am i offended lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts