Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up everyone I have a 1985 Kawasaki Vulcan 700 I replace the stator and rectifier upon taking the stator case off I cleaned it off the first time I use Liquid gasket it wasn't much help redid it got the right gasket for it and just put gasket on tightened everything up put the block back in put the motor mounts back on and filled it up with a little bit of oil just to see if it would hold and it's still leaking from the same area that bottom right Stater bolt area I don't know what to do this is the third time that I'll be taking the engine out I'm at a loss for words I just bought the bike earlier this year .please any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Sounds frustrating. Have you checked to see if the cover is warped? Or the surfaces scratched?
Is it for sure leaking from the seam, and not from one of the bolts or screws?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds frustrating. Have you checked to see if the cover is warped? Or the surfaces scratched?
Is it for sure leaking from the seam, and not from one of the bolts or screws?
So I went out and looked its leaking from the bolt. After i wiped it off i could see oil filling up around the head if the bolt.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I'd guess there's some damage on one of the surfaces, maybe even a crack in the casting, making a channel to the bolt hole that a gasket can't seal. They do make bolts that have an o-ring set into the bottom of the head (but still providing metal-to-metal contact for torque), which might be able to seal the leak at the outside of the cover. Search for 'self sealing bolt'. I'm not sure just adding a cork/fiber gasket beneath the head of a normal bolt would let you get the proper torque without having it loosen up over time due to compression.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd guess there's some damage on one of the surfaces, maybe even a crack in the casting, making a channel to the bolt hole that a gasket can't seal. They do make bolts that have an o-ring set into the bottom of the head (but still providing metal-to-metal contact for torque), which might be able to seal the leak at the outside of the cover. Search for 'self sealing bolt'. I'm not sure just adding a cork/fiber gasket beneath the head of a normal bolt would let you get the proper torque without having it loosen up over time due to compression.
Someone on facebook suggested to RTV the " **** " out of it and wait 24 hours to dry then try oil Idk maybe going and getting a knew stator case and try that I can try the o-ring bolt I just need something to work ive took the block out 3 times now frustrating...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try the rtv. It works on automotive applications, but they're sealing the threads, your leak may be somewhere above the threads.
Well I just bought some JB Weld RTV high temp silicone im gonna clean it all up with break cleaner and seal this bad boy up I pray to the Great Lord above that this works this time if not im just gonna have to replace the stator case. I'll let ya know how it works in a day or so Thanks for the advise!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well I just bought some JB Weld RTV high temp silicone im gonna clean it all up with break cleaner and seal this bad boy up I pray to the Great Lord above that this works this time if not im just gonna have to replace the stator case. I'll let ya know how it works in a day or so Thanks for the advise!!!!
Can You show us a picture?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts