Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a tpe stator installed and have had it for over a year now but I recently have developed a charging issue

I checked for parasitic drain and found none

the charging system is charging at around 12.5 to 13v at 4k rpm and it is reading between 11.5 and 12.5 at idle

seems to charge less when the engine is warm and we don't even want to talk about what happens if the fan kicks on lol its pitiful

the stator is showing infinite resistance from each leg to ground but no resistance from leg to leg all combinations

I put my mosfet r/r on another bike and it is working fine so I know it has to be the stator that is bad again

my question is has anyone else had an issue with a tpe stator going out or am I the first one?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Your not the first. I've had two TPE stators fail. Or should I say eat'n by my bike.
There was something killing them on my machine. I hope yours hasn't developed the same issue.
How many miles did you get out of it before this issue showed up?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey man I'm thinking about going with your alt mod did you do a write up for it?

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled the outer stator cover to take some measurements for the alternator mod and this fell out from behind it does any one recognize this bolt

·
Registered
139 Posts
looks like the bolt that holds the flywheel in place to me. The damper bolt is gold in coloer if I remember correct from exsperiance.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
looks like the bolt that holds the flywheel in place to me. The damper bolt is gold in coloer if I remember correct from exsperiance.
I can ensure you that it is not the flywheel bolt since this one is an 8mm head

I put it on the receipt book for size reference the book is 2 3/4 of an inch by 5 3/8 of an inch

·
Registered
856 Posts
only bolts with and 8mm head I can think of on that side/area would be for the cam chain guides, but I'm pretty sure all those were all zinc coated bolts and not black.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I figured it out I had that bolt holding my left side ear on and dropped the bolt I thought I lost it in the grass but now that I think of it I did have the oil fill cap off at the time

i'm just glad that's all it was and that It didn't do any damage

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i have now bought an alternator and will be working on making mounting plates and doing the crankshaft mods to create my drive pulley setup

i will be trying to run this as a one belt system and integrate forward controls into the alternator brackets wish me luck guys this is going to be fun

·
Registered
468 Posts
can't wait to see it. good luck hope you get it right the first time. ;)

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes... good luck. When I did mine my shifter got in the way of a single belt set up. That's why I stepped it. Can't wait to see how this comes out with a forward control set up.
if i'm right you said you had it all set up until you put the shift lever on and it was the lever itself that interfered with the belt if so I should be able to change the angle of the belt just a hair to get the desired clearance

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Job complete check my photobucket for pics i didn't do the forwards but i think it looks great the way it is

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Check out that link for some more in depth pics, I'm sure new rider will post a through write up when he is able.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Job complete check my photobucket for pics i didn't do the forwards but i think it looks great the way it is
Oh come on now,Trey.Who made them forwards?;)contrary to popular belief, you can say his name.lol

·
Registered
856 Posts
Oh come on now,Trey.Who made them forwards?;)contrary to popular belief, you can say his name.lol
...Just stay away from mirrors whilst doing so... ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts