Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I just picked up an 89 VN750 for a great price, seems to be in very good shape, but was told the stator was bad, I tested and have dead short on all three legs. My questions: Ive seen cheap to rather steep, read lots about case mod etc, I am very mechanical and have already prepared to remove the motor to replace the stator, but what about this mod, do stators fail that often Thanks for your input, I have looked thru lots of the threads here, but didn't find much on who makes the best stator or best for the buck...Thanks in advance..Dale

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
Hello everyone, I just picked up an 89 VN750 for a great price, seems to be in very good shape, but was told the stator was bad, I tested and have dead short on all three legs. My questions: Ive seen cheap to rather steep, read lots about case mod etc, I am very mechanical and have already prepared to remove the motor to replace the stator, but what about this mod, do stators fail that often Thanks for your input, I have looked thru lots of the threads here, but didn't find much on who makes the best stator or best for the buck...Thanks in advance..Dale
http://tpe-usa.com/

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
X2^^^^^^
From all accounts Tim Parrott's rebuilt/rewound stators are the best to be had anywhere, and the price is lower than other suppliers too.
He does need an OEM Kawasaki stator core to build on. He will not use cheap aftermarket cores for his rebuild.

Many times the TPE stators will give a higher output than OEM due to use of more wire windings, higher quality wire and insulation.

Tim does have an Ebay store, but email him directly from his website link above to get all the answers to your questions. :smiley_th

EDIT: Here is an old ebay link with more information about Tim's service.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/motorcycle-stators-rebuild-service-/180382187937?_trksid=p4634.c0.m14.l1262&forcev4exp=true&hash=item29ff9dc1a1&item=180382187937&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
from what everyone has said about tim parrot and his stators i don't believe you would need to do the stator mod since i have heard of no counts of stator failure after installation of the tpe rebuilt stator

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I have has one of Tim's stators fail but I'm certain it was due to a failure on my bikes behalf.

I'm currently using a race tech stator & I had one of them fail. Their customer service & tech support is excellent. They replaced my failed stator no questions asked.

Winter project... Inspecting all my wiring, looking for problems. :(

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I have has one of Tim's stators fail but I'm certain it was due to a failure on my bikes behalf.

I'm currently using a race tech stator & I had one of them fail. Their customer service & tech support is excellent. They replaced my failed stator no questions asked.

Winter project... Inspecting all my wiring, looking for problems. :(
OK Kanuck, educate me.
Where do you get the race tech stator? Do you have a link?
Is it supposed to be better than other commonly available stators?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I don't really think its any better, just an alternative option.
Our stator is used in other bikes. I forget right now which ones but they were surprised when I called in with a claim.
I got it off eBay but the company has an actual site from which you could buy them.
Racetech is the manufacturer & another company works hand in hand selling their product.
I'll see if I can go through my purchases & post my findings.

I have the new one installed & I've tested it for output & it falls right in line with specs.
The construction seemed to look of that like oem. No heavy coating on the windings. Most of my "actual" failures have been a breakdown of the coating.

Edit: ok, so it doesn't seem they have any on eBay right now but here is a link to their site.

Racetech

1 - 9 of 9 Posts