Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my new to me '86, the grommet appears to be FUBAR. A good portion of it is missing and oil is leaking around it. If I do the tux mod, does a new grommet simply push through from the inside and lock into the generator cover? Just trying to wrap my head around whether this can be repaired (not just band-aided with RTV) without pulling the engine.
Thanks!

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
No, it doesn't. It's designed to be slid into the cover sideways (like the direction the bolt goes) and it gets compressed.

Engine tilt might work for you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is the wiring for the stator removed with the tux mod?

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
It is cut at either end of the grommet, a notch is cut in the outside cover, and a new grommet is supplied.

The tux mod requires only removing the three bolts and cutting the engine. The stator replace requires the second cover to be removed.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. I'm clear on the general function of the mod (cut the generator cover to allow stator removal, install the new mounting plate to the generator cover that allows reattachment of the stator). In my case, since the grommet is wrecked I'll need to install a new one in the original location or use silicone, then reattach the generator cover. On the outside cover, cut a second slot for the grommet allowing the stator grommet to be placed there instead. Is all that correct?

Thanks again for your help.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
your replacement stator should include a new grommet, that slides into the existing slot in the case.

if not replacing the stator.. well, I cant help with that one.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Okay. I'm clear on the general function of the mod (cut the generator cover to allow stator removal, install the new mounting plate to the generator cover that allows reattachment of the stator). In my case, since the grommet is wrecked I'll need to install a new one in the original location or use silicone, then reattach the generator cover. On the outside cover, cut a second slot for the grommet allowing the stator grommet to be placed there instead. Is all that correct?

Thanks again for your help.
Yes. If you are removing the generator "sandwich plate" (between the engine block and the three bolt cover plate), you might as well replace the stator the right way.

You can go as far as cutting the sandwich plate, reinstalling the stator with the wires coming out stock location, and not cut the cover plate.

In this way, you keep stock grommet location. Also, you can cut the sandwich plate while off the engine. Finally, all you need to do to replace the stator is cut the wires in stock location, and notch the cover plate to accept the new grommet.

Did all that make sense?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes. If you are removing the generator "sandwich plate" (between the engine block and the three bolt cover plate), you might as well replace the stator the right way.

You can go as far as cutting the sandwich plate, reinstalling the stator with the wires coming out stock location, and not cut the cover plate.

In this way, you keep stock grommet location. Also, you can cut the sandwich plate while off the engine. Finally, all you need to do to replace the stator is cut the wires in stock location, and notch the cover plate to accept the new grommet.

Did all that make sense?
Yes - it all makes perfect sense. Not what I wanted the truth to be, but I'm glad to know it. Short term I'll try to clean things up as well as possible and see if I can get a functional seal with Right Stuff permatex (recommended by a few users for this exact issue). Long term I'll start making plans for an engine pull to repair this and do a simultaneous tux mod and any needed maintenance while I'm in that far. Probably a late Winter project.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not following - we're just talking about an area being splashed by oil rather than under direct pressure. How would that be affected?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts