Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
95 Vulcan 750 only putting out 12.6 volts with new regulator !!!
How can I test the stator while on the bike?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Check the electrical section for details. basically you just use a multimeter to test between the 3 stator leads. Check for AC (you want to see 50-70v @ 5k RPM), and for resistance to ground. You should have no path to ground, if so, its bad. If its under 40-50v @ 5k rpm on any leg, its bad.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
What shape is the plug to the regulator?

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Don't know what you mean by plug (I am not near the bike right now) but definitely check the bullet connectors in the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator, behind the engine. Mine burned so badly the connectors broke off, 20,000+ miles before the stator failed.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Don't know what you mean by plug (I am not near the bike right now) but definitely check the bullet connectors in the 3 yellow wires coming from the stator, behind the engine. Mine burned so badly the connectors broke off, 20,000+ miles before the stator failed.
jerry first off the plug he was referring too is the one that plugs into the regulator itself you know the rectangular plug with six wires

secondly i have come to two possible conclusions either you have the unicorn of vn750's with your highly improbable 20k stator or your full of shiet either way your statement of a 20k mile stator is not helpful at all and as most of us familiar with the vn750 know that is a very very very uncommon occurrence on these bikes so when you make statements like that people expect there equipment to last that long and loose interest in the bike after the stator fails for the second time in 10k miles

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Uh dah one dat gets all melty an stuff.;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Besides all of the magic our bikes might possess. We all most inspect the wiring of the stator to R/R. When I first purchased mine I noticed that the bullet connectors rearward of engine and forward of battery box were getting melted and had bare metal showing. Also inspect the R/R plug for wear ( melting). I replaced connectors with heat shrink over individual wires then larger covering over all. Just keep vigilant over inspection, and find problems before they happen. Any short can fry any component in the line.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
jerry first off the plug he was referring too is the one that plugs into the regulator itself you know the rectangular plug with six wires

secondly i have come to two possible conclusions either you have the unicorn of vn750's with your highly improbable 20k stator or your full of shiet either way your statement of a 20k mile stator is not helpful at all and as most of us familiar with the vn750 know that is a very very very uncommon occurrence on these bikes so when you make statements like that people expect there equipment to last that long and loose interest in the bike after the stator fails for the second time in 10k miles
May be that dry air out there in Airyzoney ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts