Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. I am replacing the connections on the stator to rectifier (the yellow wires). I have some bullet connectors from Radio Shack. Will those work for that or do i have to have a special kind? I was going to use them, then seal them with heat shrink tape.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
U can accually solder the wires together for a better connection. And use heat shrink for insulation.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Quick question. I am replacing the connections on the stator to rectifier (the yellow wires). I have some bullet connectors from Radio Shack. Will those work for that or do i have to have a special kind? I was going to use them, then seal them with heat shrink tape.

I have no experience with them on the stator wires, how well will they stand up to the heat ? .....many VN owners prefer to solder the connections, insulate with Heat Shrink tubing.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I think they're easier to get to if you pull the coolant tank.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
If you use bullets...they should be soldered to the wires, other wise don't bother. It just adds places for the connection to corrode, heat up , and fail.

EDIT: I wouldn't trust anything Radio Shack sells...JMO you would probably be better off soldering them together and heat shrinking it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will solder them and heat shrink them thanks everybody

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Might wanna go up one gauge in wire too...them things are aweful thin.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
I think they're easier to get to if you pull the coolant tank.
I don't k ow why folks keep saying that. The coolant tank is on the other side of the bike!?
On my bike at least, the wires come farther out on the right side of the bike (behind the coolant tank) or at least your hands can reach them better. On the left side I had to reach around the exhaust pipe with my left hand and there wasn't much room for the right hand.

For soldering, I just found it easier to reach the wires with both hands and not have anything in the way. You still have to route the wires up the left side when you're done soldering.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Might wanna go up one gauge in wire too...them things are aweful thin.
What gauge are the yellow stator wires Wolfie?

I remember looking at the stator wires a year or two ago, comparing them to a piece of wire in my hand, and thinking they were smaller gauge than I expected.
I think I was expecting 14 ga and they seemed to be only 16 or 18ga. :confused:
Not sure now.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
No idea what gauge, but guessing 18....I went to a 12....mebbe overkill, but I dont ever wanna see them smoking again, lol....

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
What gauge are the yellow stator wires Wolfie?

I remember looking at the stator wires a year or two ago, comparing them to a piece of wire in my hand, and thinking they were smaller gauge than I expected.
I think I was expecting 14 ga and they seemed to be only 16 or 18ga. :confused:
Not sure now.
Inspecting mine, my educated guess would be 16 gauge.

14 or 12 gauge would be satisfactory (& recommended) upgrade (all the way to the R/R).

:smiley_th

1 - 14 of 14 Posts