Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What started out as realizing I was going to have to replace my stator is growing into a project but I am getting excited about the potential.

My VK750 has had some kind of weird slippage in the drive, ever since I've owned it. When you start it up cold and let out the clutch, quick, it makes kind of a "ZZZZIP" sound then catches suddenly. I've learned to be gentle with the clutch but it still occurs once in a while when it's first fired up. Once it's warmed up it does not seem to happen much. It caught my mechanic off guard the first time he tried the bike and he is not sure what would cause it. Best guess is perhaps a worn clutch plate or two.

So I am thinking now, if I am going to do this Stator and Damper change-out, then I may as well do the clutch too. But rather than use the Hobby Shop on base, I've talked to a few guys at work and they are checking with some people they know who have garages and also live here on Big Coppitt Key. If I can find someone near me who is willing to rent me their garage for thirty days, I'll just pull the engine out, put it on a bench and do it all. Stator, dampers, clutch, ACCT to MCCT, Pick-up Coils and the wiring for the new Mosfet unit. I may even want to do a re-paint on the engine. It would also be a good time to check my splines. We have Moly at work that they use on the jets, (F-5 Tiger II) and I could just scoop some into a zip lock baggie. Jet fighter moly on my driveshaft... I like that. :smiley_th

While the engine is out I can do some detail work on the frame, flush and check out the cooling system, maybe a little touch up painting. The chrome has corroded and rusted off of many of the original nuts and bolts so maybe replace as many as possible with marine grade stainless steel.

I don't want to start until I have everything. I've got a few things now but need to get a few tools and order the clutch and stator. Is there a specific stator that any of you can recommend?
Also, my mechanic tells me he has a complete, original VK750 exhaust system in his back room so I'll be checking that out and see what shape it's in.
:beerchug:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I basically did the same thing to mine while I had it out for the dampers. Repainted it, did the R/R, cleaned the stator. Meant to do the pickup coils, but that's for another day...

It's nice to work on it while you have it all out!

Let me know how new clutch plates work for you. That ZIIIRT sound you talk about is called "coffee grinder syndrome" from what I gather, and can be helped by drilling the clutch basket (not a mod I really wanna do) but if clutch plates help I could do a job like that.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
that is most likely what we call "Coffee Grinder Syndrome". happens most often on cold engines/clutches. not really harmful, but can be un-nerving if not ready for it.

good news is, Ma-Kaw released a TSB about it, the 'cure' is to drill holes in the clutch basket in a spiral pattern. it seems its an oiling issue (either too much or not enough, I dont know which) when the oil is cold and thicker.

Also, some oils seem to do it more than others. YMMV here.

and by all means, check/grease them splines!

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I basically did the same thing to mine while I had it out for the dampers. Repainted it, did the R/R, cleaned the stator. Meant to do the pickup coils, but that's for another day...

It's nice to work on it while you have it all out!

Let me know how new clutch plates work for you. That ZIIIRT sound you talk about is called "coffee grinder syndrome" from what I gather, and can be helped by drilling the clutch basket (not a mod I really wanna do) but if clutch plates help I could do a job like that.
Wow! :wow: You don’t know how relieved I am to find out that there is name for this and it’s not something horribly serious! This forum is the greatest thing since… ummm, Ground Coffee! :smiley_th

Thanx Guys! :beerchug:

Reactions: T-Bone

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah, it's a big help around here. My bike wouldn't be half of what it is without this site.

I will say that working the clutch about 20 times while in neutral while the bike warms up helps with coffee grinder syndrome, as does slipping the clutch while at a standstill for the first few stop signs/lights (what I mean is letting the clutch grab a little bit while idling at a stop, which I suppose helps to work oil inbetween the plates and warm them up a bit, reducing the grinding noise when I go to take off)

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still waiting for some stator recommendations. A brief look online brings up quite a few in different price ranges so I assume some must be better than others.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
OEM or rewind are the only acceptable options imo.

Ricks, Electrosport, NoNameChinaBrand, etc are all the same crap. Worthless under-insulated crap.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Agreed, with what tanner posted, include Caltric in the same group.

You might contact these folks and see if they are still selling rewinds. This listing ended May 5, and they sold five. Willescycle is also affiliated some way with Cycletronics. Was given this link last year and they were advertising rewinds then.

NEW KAWASAKI VN700 VN750 VULCAN STATOR BY CYCLETRONICS | eBay

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Thanx! :smiley_th
You're welcome. Just be aware, as far as I know, you would be the first forum member to get a stator from these guys.

They do have decent feedback and the original listing says the stators are manufactured by them.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're welcome. Just be aware, as far as I know, you would be the first forum member to get a stator from these guys.

They do have decent feedback and the original listing says the stators are manufactured by them.
I called Cycletronics and got a recording that said, "Thank you for calling Willie's Cycles"
Apparently, two businesses, two different phone numbers, same owner. They're not open on Saturday and Sunday and being as this is a holiday weekend, I will try them again on Tuesday.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, it's a big help around here. My bike wouldn't be half of what it is without this site.

I will say that working the clutch about 20 times while in neutral while the bike warms up helps with coffee grinder syndrome, as does slipping the clutch while at a standstill for the first few stop signs/lights (what I mean is letting the clutch grab a little bit while idling at a stop, which I suppose helps to work oil inbetween the plates and warm them up a bit, reducing the grinding noise when I go to take off)
Hey Uber, good advise! After reading this post I've been working the clutch after I start the bike, without it in gear. just pulling and releasing it a few times and it seems to be doing the trick. No Coffee Grinder! :smiley_th
:beerchug:

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
OK guys, I just ordered a stator from Wilie's/Cycletronics for $139.00. The guy that took my order said it is a brand new stator and it would ship today.
With tomorrow the first of June, I need to start the semi-annual inspections of the tools in the various shops at work so I won't be taking any vacation time until this is all done, hopefully before the end of the month.
But the good news is I now have a place lined up where I can pull the engine and do this work so I have the next couple of weeks or so to get the rest of the parts and tools together and build a small bench to put the engine up on.
Meanwhile I am getting by with two batteries for the bike. One in the bike, one on the charger and swapping them out every other day.

Ordered a Stator on May 31, received it on June 2.
Looks pretty good. I'll get a picture and post it.

-Tuesday June 13
Here's a pictures of the Stator I got from Willie's Cycles (AKA: Cycletronics)

I should wrap up the Semi-Annual inspections at work this week and then I can move ahead on this project. Things seem to be moving in a direction that's almost to good to be true.
I stopped by my mechanic's shop because he has mentioned more than once that he has a Vulcan 750 exhaust system he would like to get out of his back room and I asked to see it. I tried not to let my excitement show when I saw it. It's completely intact in almost perfect condition! The clamps are a bit rusty but nothing like the corrosion on my system and I can order new ones. I got it for $50.00
Also, he mentioned that he has a bunch of other VK750 parts he would like to get rid of so I'll see him when he comes back from vacation. I may just buy the lot if the price is right and then post a list.

Meanwhile, another guy I work with says he has a motorcycle lift he will loan me for this job so things are moving along. I still have a few parts to order and tools to gather.

I was thinking of ordering a pair of the stainless steel TOC MCCTs. I know some of you have used them. Do you like them?

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well, I got online this morning, went to Kawasaki Genuine Parts & Parts Diagrams |Ken's Sports Inc and ordered everything on ubertalldude's, "ULTIMATE STATOR/DAMPER PARTS LIST".
I was thinking I'd do the Stator, Dampers, MosFet R&R, ACCTs to MCCTs, Spline Lube and put in a new Clutch, but after looking at diagrams of the clutch assembly, I think I'll leave that alone. It works well without any slipping and now that I know how to avoid 'Coffee Grinder Syndrome', I just won't worry about it at this time.

The parts I ordered today should be delivered around July 3rd so this project won't get underway till after the 4th Of July.

I've printed ubertalldude's list of parts and tools on cardstock paper and put it into a three ring binder along with michiganteddybear's "HELPFUL TIP FOR FLYWHEEL" and jm1515's "VN750 STATOR REPLACEMENT NOTES".

This binder already has a fair amount of other information, advise and procedures I have printed from the forum and should prove to be most useful to me.

When this job gets underway, I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures, (I know you're all biting your nails with anticipation about this Stator I got from Willie's Cycles.)

I also plan to replace all of the twelve year old rubber fuel, vacuum and water hoses while the engine is out.
Does anyone happen to have a list of part numbers for the cooling system hoses?

·
Vulcantim
16 Posts
Good morning. That stator looks exactly like the one I got from Caltric for $58. I just changed it a week ago.
The cooling hose numbers I got from VN 75O Service manual/parts catalogue all begin 39062-1100, 1101, 1102, 1103, 1104, 1122.
I also used 2 batteries. I charged them both every day. I'd strap one on the back and change it when the other one died in about 30 miles.
Luckily I only had to push it once about 4 miles. Not as fun as it sounds.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Well, I got online this morning, went to Kawasaki Genuine Parts & Parts Diagrams |Ken's Sports Inc and ordered everything on ubertalldude's, "ULTIMATE STATOR/DAMPER PARTS LIST".
I was thinking I'd do the Stator, Dampers, MosFet R&R, ACCTs to MCCTs, Spline Lube and put in a new Clutch, but after looking at diagrams of the clutch assembly, I think I'll leave that alone. It works well without any slipping and now that I know how to avoid 'Coffee Grinder Syndrome', I just won't worry about it at this time.

The parts I ordered today should be delivered around July 3rd so this project won't get underway till after the 4th Of July.

I've printed ubertalldude's list of parts and tools on cardstock paper and put it into a three ring binder along with michiganteddybear's "HELPFUL TIP FOR FLYWHEEL" and jm1515's "VN750 STATOR REPLACEMENT NOTES".

This binder already has a fair amount of other information, advise and procedures I have printed from the forum and should prove to be most useful to me.

When this job gets underway, I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures, (I know you're all biting your nails with anticipation about this Stator I got from Willie's Cycles.)

I also plan to replace all of the twelve year old rubber fuel, vacuum and water hoses while the engine is out.
Does anyone happen to have a list of part numbers for the cooling system hoses?
how's abouts the balancer bushings once your in there?

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
That stator looks a lot like the Chinese ones. Real thin coating and wire. Probably just being resold, but I have no proof or anything. Just based on visual.

I agree with Doc, it's a good time. The bolt to remove the rotor is cheap. Parts aren't too bad, and it will give you peace of mind.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Willie's and cycletronic share the same addresses so it's safe to assume that they are one

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Just got a package delivery a couple of days ago with the bushings and assorted gaskets.
:smiley_th

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc
1 - 20 of 29 Posts