Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings,

can someone give me simple instructions on how to test the Stator and the R/R?
Or if you can direct me to a thread that provides simple instructions!

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
First - put a voltmeter on your battery. SHould read about 12.7 when fully charged. Start your engine, let the bike warm up a little - once the engine revs are around 2500+, your voltmeter should show an increase to 13.5 - 14.5v (extra voltage shows you that your charging system is working). If you see the increase, you're fine. If you don't, then test your stator. Resistance across the wires should be between .3 - .5 ohms. If that tests ok, then it's your stator!

But someone else can jump in and point you to a more detailed thread.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you all for the quick reply.

I just got done doing some tests:

Battery is fully (fresh) charged : 12.58V
start engine and i got about 12.89V @ 4000RPM

stator:
constant reading at 0.7ohm with combination of the 3 yellow wires

with engine started, i get about 19.2 ACV with combination of the 3 yellow wires

Any advices?

thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts

stator:

with engine started, i get about 19.2 ACV with combination of the 3 yellow wires

Any advices?

thanks in advance!!
Just to be clear, the stator test is done by disconnecting the three yeloow leads that go to the r/r. Measure between each combination of the yellow leads, total of three tests. Resistance should not be greater than .3 - .5 ohms between any two.

Then, with leads still disconnected, measure from each yellow lead to the engine case, reading should be infinite, or open for each yellow lead to the case.

If so far so good, with leads still disconnected, start the bikes and as in first step, measure AC voltage between each pair of yellow leads, total of three sets of numbers. Get data at idle, 2500, and 4000 rpm.

Jon

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts

stator:

Any advices?

thanks in advance!!
Was the ac volts @ idle or @4000, ohm reading can be around 1.0-1.3 and still be good as long as you have good AC output and coils are not shorted to ground.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts