Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys, first post. Just want to say you all have helped me A LOT in working on my bike. Hoping someone can help me here, the dealership didnt help much. I have a 94' 750 and i shaved the ears, removed the stock pipes and put straight pipes on it. I rejetted the carbs and shimmed the needles. Right now it has 40's for the pilots (which i think may be too small because i have the mixture screws out as far as i can take them, almost 7 turns and i still get popping on deceleration) the mains are 142's and urrently have the needles shimmed up with 3 shims (seems excessive to me). Oh, and i do have coasters on it as well in case that comes up.

Here is the problem i'm having. At idle its fine, starts fine, even when cold. I dont even have to choke it. At wide open throttle it has plenty of power no hesitation at all. But at cruising speed (im guessing the needles take over here) it bucks and carries on like its starving for fuel (this is at 3500 to 4000 rpms, somewhere in there, it acts worse on windy days which makes me think its running lean. If i choke it, it instantly straightens up, of cousre indont want to have to run it that way. Origonally i had 2 shims under the needles and took it to the dealership and explained what it was doing to try to get some advice and he said it sonded like the needles were'nt shimmed out enough, so... I put another shim in, no change whatsoever, so does anyone have advice for me, i feel like i'm wading through mud here!

·
Registered
10 Posts
It would be helpful to know things such as where you live @ altitude. the closer you get to sea level the richer the jetting usually has to be. It may that you have reched the limitations of the 142 main jet no matter were the needle is i have seen posts here of guys running up to 150's on mains. What color are your plugs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think the plugs look too bad. They are brownish grey, not fowled or anythihng, and they are dry. I live in charleston wv so the altitude isn't too high, i would sa a couple hundred feet maybe, we live in the valley right next to the river. I was kinda wondering about the mains, but it accelerates so well i thought it would be starving if it was the mains. But i was going to order a couple of sizes of each anyway because of the pilots being too small. Thanks for the advice!

Should i order 145's and 150's try em and see how it does? I'm almost positive about the pilots being too small because of the popping on decel, but i can tolerate that until i get it to straighten up on cruising, but i'll probably swap both out while i'm into it anyway.

The dealerships around here don't carry many jet sizes so i have to order them every time. :(

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I've seen posts from other people listings similar symptoms and it turned out to be the carb vent line getting a bunch of air forced into it while riding. So just as an easy, no cost check, you could look it over to make sure it's not cracked anywhere, and the end of it isn't just laying exposed somewhere on top of the engine. Just a suggestion. ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, I hadn't even thought of that. I'm assuming you're talking about that one that t's off and goes into one. I didn't know what to do with that when I rejetted because noone had really said anything about it. It's routes over top the engine, just like you said! What do you do with it, you can't block it off can you? I'll check it out today. If it's not the problem I happened to find some old mains laying around last night that are bigger. I'm glad you mentioned that. I never would have looked there.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I believe the line in question is the one that was attatched to the right ear when you removed it. There are some post on here that ive read of how guys have delt with this same issue, Maybe on a good ear shave proceedure post.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
You can put a filter on that vent line, or point it towards the back of the bike and hold it in position with a zip tie. The problem seems to occur when the hose is pointed towards the front or side and air is forced into, or moving across the hose opening, which causes pressure variations in the carb float chamber.

Phil used Emgo crankcase filters for the vent on his earshave:
http://06vn750.blogspot.com/

Somebody else mentioned using some $3 lawnmower filters for the vent hose.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, it's not that vent line, I have that routed to the back like you said and the other that was mentioned (the vacuum on the right) is plugged. Last night I put some bigger mains in and I really think this may be my problem. But I don't know how much bigger to go! I put 150's in and it's better but not where it should be. At wide open throttle it still acts like it's starving fir fuel. If I choke it at WOT it doesn't really do anything. But I can tell its not getting enough on the top end. What do you guys think, am I in the right track?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elevation us prob only a couple hundred feet. And no I didn't PM on this. Just hoping to see some light at the end of the tunnel here. I'm a mechanic and I've worked on all kins of things but this bike seems to be getting the best of me here. Keeps leaving me scratching my head!

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Maybe I missed it.....what air filters are you running? There is a big difference between UNI's and K&N's and there air flow rate. The Emgo's are not supposed to work right on our bikes for some reason due to there rubber boot design.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
150's sound too big.. what is your elevation... did you PM on this as well?
I just Googled Charlston WV, and the elevation ASL is 597 feet. I read someone here who said as a rule of thumb, the same jetting is good from sea level to 2000 feet ASL.

I`m no expert on carbs or tuning and rejetting, but I think Ron/lance328 had "Old Yella" jetted with 40 or 42 pilots and 142 or 145 mains with an earshave and aftermarket pipes, (Vance and Hines?). He lived in or near Atlanta GA, elevation 738 to 1050 feet ASL.

If I am right Mattejacob, I think your #40 pilots are too small, and the #150 mains are too big.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Yeah I think the pilots ate too small as well but I didn't have any laying around. But that wouldn't necessarily cause my symptoms would it? I thought the pilots controlled idle an just off idle... I'll get some new pilots on order. So should I put the smaller mains back in? And go from there because to get it to run smooth on the highway I had to choke it full choke. After the bigger jets it seems to be acting better just no guts at wot

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
Well I am here in Cincinnati.....I am running 2 shims on the needles....40 pilots and 140 mains with UNI's (oiled properly) and Iridium plugs. I have MCCT's installed. My bike is coastered and I run V&H Cruzers exhaust (with Harley crush gaskets) and no fiberglass around the baffles.......and with my air/fuel mix screws out 3.5 turns from seated.......I can not even get it to pop on decel.......even if I try to make it pop. I ran my carb vent tubes to a small filter that is tucked behind the thermostat housing that faces forward. This bike has never ran better and so strong.....I have no complaints about how this engine runs.......NONE at ALL!

·
Registered
748 Posts
FWIW... I'm at ~30' ASL. The home place in the Texas Hill Country is ~1800', and I've had Therapy over 3000' ASL. 140 mains, 40 pilots, no shims, Uni filters; no problems.

I have noticed one thing in the several ear shaves I've seen done; the 140 mains seem to work better with 40 pilots, and the 142 and 145 mains with 42 pilots. I haven't done any experimenting to verify this for myself, however; I've been satisfied with what I've got, for the time being.

Jim

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hmmm, it's almost sounding as if it may not be the carbs at all... Maybe electrical? My plugs don't look bad but I don't know when they were changed last as I just got the bike this past winter. There is no arcing around the wires or anything. Maybe I'll change the plugs and see what happens. Everything I've read has said this setup should be perfect. One thing I for got to mention is my pipes are wrapped as well, but I can't see it causing the symptoms I'm having.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
OK.....in 1st and 2nd gear....can your accelerate to the RPM Redline? OR does it begin to act like there is a governor and not let it get past 7,000 rpm? What did you do with the hose that goes to the carb vent "T" fitting between the carbs? My only other thought is that it's electrical......pickup coils, igniter box(timing brain), ignition coils, plug wires, spark plugs......possibly one of these items? Best place to start is to buy either Denso or NGK Iridium plugs.....they work wonders on these bikes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I can't get it to go up to 7000rpm. Once it gets past 6000 or so it does exactly as you are describing. Almost acts like a governor, let off the throttle and it'll straighten up somewhat. As long as I'm not getting on it hard it's bearable. The vent for the carbs is routed over the rear cylinder facing the back of the bike.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts