Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is new. The bike starts right up beautifully when i first get on it. If I ride ten minutes and turn it off, it doesn't want top start again until I let it sit for about ten minutes. Then the starter weakly turns things over but very weakly it feels like. Once it sits then it's back to cranking normally. The bike runs like a top and did 60 miles this morning without a problem except for getting gas and having to get a cup of coffee and wait.

New MF battery last night because I thought that was the problem and I had been putting off the new battery anyway. Well it's not the battery. The volt meter reads almost 13v when running. any ideas?

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Bad starter

Sounds like the starter is dragging and needs rebuilt or replaced. A rebuild is normally just new brushes, bushings, and clean or "cut" the armature if needed.

Worn starters normally start out with cranking ok when cold, drag and turn a lot slower when warm, until they finally refuse to turn at all.

Almost 13v sounds low, are you sure it's charging right? What is the battery voltage when you come off a run? Also might not hurt to have the new battery load tested, new is not always good.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fyi my volt meter is connected in the headlight so 13 volts may not be the actual. In three months I've only charged the wet battery once and that was just to be safe. Found the rebuild kit. Is the process on here someplace?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
the rebuild is very easy
Drain the oil
unhook the negative battery cable from battery
Pull the starter motor
fallow instructions in the starter rebuild kit for disassembly, inspection and reassembly of starter motor
Reinstall the Starter Motor

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
Found the rebuild kit. Is the process on here someplace?
Have you looked in the download manual? A chance it might be in there.

Pay close attention to the stacking order of the washers on the starter bolts. Fiber and metal washers. There was a post here last week where someone had them mixed up and the parts diagrams weren't a lot of help. The fiber washers are there to seal off the oil, since you need to drain the oil before removing the starter.

Once you've done one, you'll see the rebuilds really aren't so tough. Pics, video, or drawings as you disassemble will help you a lot.

I've not been into a VN starter yet, but I figure you'll probably need a creative way to hold the brushes back against the springs as you slide the armature or brush holder back into place. On automotive starters and alternators I've used coat hanger wire, even toothpicks or string. Certain GM alternators have holes in the case just for that.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may take pics or video what I do and put it up here or youtube in case anyone else wants to see it. I love the videos and pics man!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I hope the starter rebuild works for you...please make sure to tell us the result.

If for some reason you still have the same issue, I would consider the pickup coil mod. I gapped the coils closer in mine due to the same issue and it fixed the "hot start" issue for me.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I hope the starter rebuild works for you...please make sure to tell us the result.

If for some reason you still have the same issue, I would consider the pickup coil mod. I gapped the coils closer in mine due to the same issue and it fixed the "hot start" issue for me.
No idea what you are talking about. What what? I'll check the verses.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
No idea what you are talking about. What what? I'll check the verses.
Pick-up Coil Mod is where a small modification to each (factory non-adjustable) Pick-up Coil....thus allowing them to be adjusted to 0.020" clearance. Some have been found @ 0.040" from factory ! This is known to improve Warm/Hot Start-ups (does not aid cold start-ups) and many riders claim extra power to boot !

hope this helps
:smiley_th

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
So this is new. The bike starts right up beautifully when i first get on it. If I ride ten minutes and turn it off, it doesn't want top start again until I let it sit for about ten minutes. Then the starter weakly turns things over but very weakly it feels like. Once it sits then it's back to cranking normally. ....
That's what made me think dragging starter right off the bat. That's how worn starters behave until they finally die.

Side note for future reference.... My bike starts fine hot or cold unless I crack the throttle when hot, then it doesn't want to start and will even backfire sometimes. Let off the throttle and it fires right up. From riding other bikes, I'm just in a habit of cracking the throttle for hot starts.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
H E R E is the link in the verses section with photos to explain the mod.

My starter was slow on hot starts too. ...so i already went down that road. I even switched to an AGM battery and that helped the slow cranking starter, but still would not start when hot.

The mod definately helped my bike with the Hot Start issue....but your results may vary.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My bike never starts as easy hot either. I had my starter checked and it was good. I like the coil suggestion and need to find sometime to do it!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Excuse me (****, another flippin mod) so ignition coil relay mod search time. So what i have planned is Pick-up Coil Mod, ignition coil relay mod, rebuild starter. Oops forgot i also ordered a rectal fryer ;=)

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Excuse me (****, another flippin mod) so ignition coil relay mod search time. So what i have planned is Pick-up Coil Mod, ignition coil relay mod, rebuild starter. Oops forgot i also ordered a rectal fryer ;=)
I know...it gets overwealming when you start getting everyone making suggestions. I assure you that we are only trying to help.

IMHO....the only one (and cheapest) that you really need to do right now is the pickup coil mod.

You don't even have tt drain the oil.....just take the cover off, file a bit of material to get the pickups closer and close it up. you can even reuse the seal on the cover.

If that doesn't help, then you can decide what to try next.....but i am convinced it will help you just like it did me.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know...it gets overwealming when you start getting everyone making suggestions. I assure you that we are only trying to help.

IMHO....the only one (and cheapest) that you really need to do right now is the pickup coil mod.

You don't even have tt drain the oil.....just take the cover off, file a bit of material to get the pickups closer and close it up. you can even reuse the seal on the cover.

If that doesn't help, then you can decide what to try next.....but i am convinced it will help you just like it did me.

That's first on my list. Just got a little grinder thing for my rotary. The bit I read about breaking the pcik was a bit scary though. so I am sticking the gauge down between the thing and the center wheel basically and there is a round contact on the thingy from what I saw in the pictures. I'll figure it out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts