Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When starting cold, my 750 starts just fine. If while on a ride, I turn it off for a short while (taking a break, eating out etc.) it struggles to start again. It will often backfire during this process as well. I have no idea what's wrong. I've had the bike for only a year and absolutely love it, but this drives me crazy! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,956 Posts
Some tips, in no particular order:

1) AGM type battery

2) Use choke after short stops

3) Leave throttle closed during starts (and use choke)

4) Pickup coil mod

·
Registered
132 Posts
hmm, They all do that, I wonder what really causes this ? its a pain in the ass , You can ease the symtoms as spock has suggested but I have never really eradicated the problem but look at it as one of those odd things that make these bikes great. You Just have to wait a while till its ready to restart ,but don't rush it.!!

·
Diesel Tech
136 Posts
I moved down my pick up coils to 0.018", crack the throttle just a hair and it starts warm/hot every time.
Choke always makes my starting impossible except when stone dead cold. Even then, more than 1/2 hurts more than helps.

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm going to say what everyone else here already has: pickup coil mod & AGM battery. My bike use to not start after fueling up, & I finally gave in to do the pickup mod. Starts flawlessly every time now, and even easier with the AGM battery. Still have zero idea why these bikes behave this way...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I'm going to say what everyone else here already has: pickup coil mod & AGM battery. My bike use to not start after fueling up, & I finally gave in to do the pickup mod. Starts flawlessly every time now, and even easier with the AGM battery. Still have zero idea why these bikes behave this way...
My 700 never needed the pickup coil mod. Wolfie believed the 700's were built better...

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pick up Mod ,Its the one thing left that I have not done so must do it this summer, also I will clean out the ignition switch as some have mentioned this as a fault too.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
I did it on mine and it didn't do anything. My bike didn't start behaving well until I did the tw200 petcock mod. I know it sounds crazy but everything Clicked after that.

·
Registered
132 Posts
maybe you had an underlying problem and the fuel tap solved it ?. anyhow I have done the pick up mod and all seems ok, so will see how it goes , not done hot start yet !!!.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Pick up mod did it for me. I used 2 razors, snapped off the handle and taped them together. That was the gap tool I used to make things easier. I forget what the distance was of the 2 blades taped together, .019-.020

1 - 11 of 11 Posts