Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have devoloped a problem getting my 86 vn750 started after it is warm. The starter cranks fine but it just wont fire. I can roll start it without a problem. Up until a week ago or so on cold starts I would engage the choke and it would fire right up , now I don't use the choke at all and I have to coax it a little to get it fired. The choke seems to be inefective at this point. It smells like its running real rich could this be the problem? Any help is greatly apreciated.
Eddie

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
I only use the choke for cold starts, and no throttle. For warm starts it is almost the opposite.. no choke, press starter and a blip of the throttle. Starts right up then. Of course having a maintenace free battery helps too. Our bikes don't like having anything less then a fully charged battery

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Up until a week ago or so thats how I started my bike. Now even on cold starts I cant use the choke. The battery is fully charged so I am perplexed.
Eddie

·
Registered
120 Posts
Make sure the choke cable is not binding somewhere. Improper routing of mine at the factory caused a similar problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The choke is traveling fine. Im ordering a m/free battery today and Im going to run Seafoam through the carbs as a start. Well see if it helps.
Eddie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there any play in the throttle cable? Mine acted similar to that when the mech over tightened it. Check the cable at the carb to see if it is tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem before i replaced my ignition, but here is what i discovered specificlly, so you can compare:

Bike would start cold with the choke
Bike would start warm after a 15-20 minute ride
Bike would start well when hot if turned off and on right away (at highest opperating temerpature)
Bike would NOT start if it got hot and was left off for a minute or two.

Also, my starter seemd fine, but after close inspection i realized it needed a rebuild, and an 86' should need one as well, cranking theses v-twins isnt easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
urbanking said:
I had the same problem before i replaced my ignition, but here is what i discovered specificlly, so you can compare:

Bike would start cold with the choke
Bike would start warm after a 15-20 minute ride
Bike would start well when hot if turned off and on right away (at highest opperating temerpature)
Bike would NOT start if it got hot and was left off for a minute or two.

Also, my starter seemd fine, but after close inspection i realized it needed a rebuild, and an 86' should need one as well, cranking theses v-twins isnt easy.
Hi,

Please tell me what you mean with "ignition"? Where is it placed? :confused:

Thanks

regards
Siavash T.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts