Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I bought my Vulcan about 3 months ago, it is a 1994 with about 9,000 miles on it. It has been running great all summer until today, when i try to start it the bike tries to turn over for a few short seconds but it doesn't start, if i continue to try it begins to make a clicking sound and no longer tries to start. The only thing I've done recently is and oil change yesterday, but it ran fine after and I dont think its related to the problem. If anyone has any info that could help it would be highly appreciated.
Thank you

·
Registered
175 Posts
i am thinking battery. if you dont have an AGM battery get one. do a search to find info on AGM batteries.

After replacing the battery report back to us if there are other issues and we can go from there.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. I realized it mite be the battery so i refilled it with water and now im waiting to find a battery charger before i spend money on a new battery. Ill let you know

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Thanks for the help. I realized it mite be the battery so i refilled it with water and now im waiting to find a battery charger before i spend money on a new battery. Ill let you know
Welcome to the Vulcan madness Agro. ( Do I detect a farm boy with that moniker?)

Get an inexpensive digital multimeter to check the battery voltage. I have a couple that I bought at a discount place for less than $10 each, and they work fine for my purposes. You want ~12.5 volts with the engine off.

With a conventional lead acid battery like you have, you should check the battery voltage every time you check the oil level, IMO.

FYI, the vn750 battery has a 14 amp hour rating, so the ideal charging rate of 10% of capacity is 1.4 amps. Most chargers have a low rate of 2 amps, which is usually ok if you keep an eye on it and stop after a max of 4-5 hours.

Get a local battery shop to do a load test if you think it is bad.

Here is a link to a good Maintenance Free-AGM battery when you need to get a new one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-ETX15L-Powersports-AGM-Battery-100-NEW-/270282472155?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3eee173adb

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
I just replaced a battery for my Goldwing that had a full 13.6 volts but under a load had 0.0 amps. Charger said it was fully charged. Just a FYI.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
FREE volt meter from HARBOR FREIGHT

Good until Friday Aug 27th. I got two; one for the house, one for the man cave.

DT

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I just replaced a battery for my Goldwing that had a full 13.6 volts but under a load had 0.0 amps. Charger said it was fully charged. Just a FYI.
Me too.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
me three, autozone can test it and they have a digital volt meter for $10.00
get a small packet of dielectric grease and clean all your contacts with a wire brush and coat it with the grease, (ground to frame, battery contacts etc)

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
also update your profile with your location and such when you get time (user control panel)
and welcome to the greatest vulcan forum there is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
My old conventional wet cell, that I tried all last summer to resurrect, did the same thing too. Finally bit the bullet this spring and bought a MF-AGM battery. The bike fired right up in about 5 - 10 seconds after sitting for over a year, (with Seafoam in the fuel. :rockon:)

·
Do it to it
14 Posts
Most likely battery..Mine does the saaaaaaaammmee thing exactly..i throw a charger on it and put it on engine start and ittl start up..either that or i wire up a car battery lol..my battery is bad.

·
Mr Z
6 Posts
My Vulcan would not start in the wet morning if kept outside. Starts right away if kept in the garage. Battery is 3 years old and turns the engine fine. Someone told me - replace spark wires, but I can't find the whole wire assembly, only caps and grommets.
VN-750 2004, 7,400 miles, own for 3 years. Pavel.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Mine runs pretty crappy when starting in the morning on wet dewy days after sitting in the parking lot all night. Put put put put put ...put put....then once warm...it runs great.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
In my experiences you need to either check it with a hydrometer or load test it. If a Battery puts out 12 volts it doesnt mean its good. Most auto parts storees cant test mootorcycle batteries. Bike shops can.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery being drained.

Hello, i have a 91 vn750 and the thing isn't starting, i've replaced the fuse box, the battery and it seems that the battery is being drained and not starting up. I can jump it to get it to start but then it dies when i either slow down or let it idle. can someone help me please? i'm getting frustrated with this bike. thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts