Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally had this question in "Engine". However, now my problem is electrical. So......bike won't start. Just installed a brand spanking new starter Battery shows 12.97 at rest (it's fairly new). When I turn key on, switch to run, and press start button, I hear a click but no start. I measure battery and load when attempting to start drops voltage to 6v or less. When I stopped messing, I saw a tiny puff of smoke at wire from solenoid. Any suggestions? Solenoid or weak battery?

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
At 12.97v your battery is fully charged. Solenoids generally don't smoke since they are basically just an electromagnet that makes a connection. I'd suspect the brushes in your starter or the engine may be locked up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I originally had this question in "Engine". However, now my problem is electrical. So......bike won't start. Just installed a brand spanking new starter Battery shows 12.97 at rest (it's fairly new). When I turn key on, switch to run, and press start button, I hear a click but no start. I measure battery and load when attempting to start drops voltage to 6v or less. When I stopped messing, I saw a tiny puff of smoke at wire from solenoid. Any suggestions? Solenoid or weak battery?
Uh oh. All sorts of bad things happen when you let the smoke out. Something is making that circuit overload, and the quickest way to do that is with something binding the starter motor.

I haven't had mine apart, but looking at the parts diagram, there's a one way clutch between the starter and crank gear. Meaning the starter will turn the engine, but the engine won't turn the starter. If it does indeed work like that, you could turn the crank by hand but if the binding is on the starter side you wouldn't know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Don't take that about a clutch as gospel until someone else chimes in, I'm making assumptions based on the parts diagram.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Could be a defective starter, that's a huge drop from 12.97v down to 6v, that starter is drawing amps HARD.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
You can run a wire directly from the starter to the batter and see if it spins. Don't take the starter off with oil in the bike though.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I'll just say again then that these starters are pretty solid so probably not the starter. There isn't much to a starter anyway. Cars have more starter problems because mechanics like to sell them.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Test the junction box, double check for exposed wires (particularly by the left side neck), check fuses, ensure good ground (triple check all three grounds [right side battery box mounting bolt to rear bolt on engine, frame to negative, and harness to frame])

1 - 9 of 9 Posts