Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, was trying to get the Vulcan ready for the summer. I put the battery in and put on the choke and she just turned over and over with no start. I then tried without the choke on and the same. I then rocked it back and forth and then tried to start which she fired up but then shut down after a few seconds of running. She ran fine last summer prior to putting her away for the winter and used seafoam also. Any ideas on what could be wrong? I had the carbs cleaned last year also. She is a 2001 Vulcan 750 with 4500 miles.

Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
387 Posts
What type of battery? Did you keep the battery charged over the winter or charge it before putting it back in the bike? Did you make sure the cables were clean and attached securely?

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
How many times did you try to get it started?
When I finally got mine running earlier this year, it took a few tries, started then quit, then started and quit, but after some slightly rough runnin' it picked up and ran just fine.

Did ya check/clean the air filters? How do the plugs looks?

·
Registered
572 Posts
put it on reserve and maybe give it some gas... it'll go if it went when u parked it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery is a maintenance free and was fully charged when placed in the Vulcan, it also has new filters and new plugs. I have put it on reserve but it only starts for a few seconds after twisting the throttle and rocking it and this was done about 50 times until the battery drained completly. It is driving me crazy. It ran great last year before I put it up for the summer.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Ya might do well with a tank that's at least 1/2 full (sounds like the tank is low?) I've found that sometimes my old girl gets grumpy when her tank is low and she's sat for a few days.

Might also be helpful to leave the gas cap open - sometimes a vacuum can be created that prevents the bike from getting the fuel it needs...

·
Registered
572 Posts
if u cant get it started try push starting it... being under a load will force it to run :)

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Well cleaning the carbs last year don't do you any good now...did you leave gas in them when you parked it for the winter?

Sounds like they are just gummed up. Fill them with carb cleaner, let them set awhile and then drain them using fresh gas (with a little seafoam)

90 percent of starting problems after "winter sleep" are caused by icky carbs...
(icky is a technical term of course)

KM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts