Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I just purchased a 1995 Vulcan and I am very excited to get back into the motorcycling world.

I was born and raised in Germany. I owned a CBR600F there and loved it. It was perfect for the winding German country roads.

Long story short, I sold the bike, got married, we moved and my 2 kids were born. Now it's already been 5 Years without me riding a motorcycle.
We moved to Wisconsin and a week ago I had the opportunity to purchase a 1995 Vulcan for a very good deal. I was going back and forth about it, since I wasn't sure about the "cruiser life". But it was just too comfortable on the first test drive not to buy it.

It is a project bike and has a couple of things it needs fixed and/or painted but that will keep me busy until this Wisconsin weather decides to warm up and be biker friendly.

I have done my own repairs and maintenance before, but this will be the first bike with a carburetor (which seems to be pretty nasty right now). I am excited about the journey and the opportunity to learn new skills.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Welcome! And congrats on the bike. Patience and the folks on here will definitely get you up and running.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
Yes, the forums and past posts are covering all of my initial questions and should be enough help to get the bike spring ready.

·
Registered
8,250 Posts
Welcome to the machine!

If the Vulcan feels comfortable, you're already ahead in this game. Once you get to really riding it, you'll probably find it to be pretty nimble for a cruiser.

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Welcome. Carburetors are THE way to go, they can be cleaned and worked on, and last forever with the occasional replacement of a few inexpensive parts. Admittedly the Vulcan 750 carburetors are somewhat difficult to get to, but it is not as hard as some people make it. I have found a few tricks to make it easier.

There are some things to watch out for on any Vulcan 750. The final drive splines and cam chain tensioners are known problem areas on almost all Vulcan 750s. You have to remove the engine to replace the stator, so I would check the charging system before getting to far into other repairs. When working properly, the Vulcan 750 is one of the most comfortable bikes ever made. I have owned 2 Goldwings, and find the Vulcan 750 to be just as comfortable for a solo rider, and a lot more maneuverable. It is not so great for a passenger however. I weigh 240, and tried to carry my 130 pound daughter on the back. The rear suspension completely bottomed out. And it completely ruined the handling, which is at least IMO excellent for a cruiser.

If you have the owners manual, go to the maintenance section and do EVERYTHING on the list. If you don't have one, get one. They can be found on eBay. All Vulcan 750s are the same so any year manual will work. I have a Clymer service manual, but I don't believe it has the maintenance schedule in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts