Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have aquired a 1993 VN750 but the solenoid is bad and I am having to jump it to hit the starter. When I do this it sounds as if the pistons aren't compressing. The spark plugs are pulled but I can't hear the compression pops.

Is there a proper procedure to cranking this bike. It is in neutral and no brake or clutch is engaged.

Any help here will be great.

Blessings!
Richard

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Need more info,year of bike and mileage, what mods are done. Does the bike run after you bypass the solenoid? Is it a bad solenoid or a weak battery?

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
If it starts when you jump it.....you like just have a weak battery.

Do not buy a wet cell battery. Get an AGM like this one:

http://estoreBC.mkbattery.com/ProductInfo/12V14L-B.aspx

Pricey, but you never need to add water to it, it won't leak acid over your junction box (or anywhere else even if laying on it's side) and holds a charge longer. Puts out more CCA and will solve most starting problems.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Lot's of information missing here.
How are you "jumping" it? directly to the starter terminal on the starter?
Do you have the key 'ON', and the red emergency cuttoff switch on the right handlebar set to 'RUN'?
Neutral with the key switch 'on' should allow you to crank it with the starter button.
Are you sure the starter is turning the crank? If you're not sure, remove the left side alternator cover. You should see rotation while cranking. I take for granted that you know that there are two plugs per cylinder.
Actually, it sounds as though after checking for rotation, you need to do a full blown compression check on both cylinders. It sure wouldn't hurt, and wouldn't take all that much effort or time.

Good hunting.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a 1993 and I am not jumping it. I have however put a cranking battery charge on the bike and the lights will dim when I hit the starter and the solenoid will click as if it is a weak battery.

I have the spark plugs out and when I jump across the solenoid it only sound like the start is running but not engaging the starter gear.

I was just wondering if like on rider lawn mowers you have to be sitting on the unit, clutch pushed in and blades disengage to crank it. I was wonder did this bike have some special procedure to get it to crank that I was missing.

I don't want to put in any money to this as it isn't mine and I wanted to hear it run before purchasing it.

It has 13000 miles on it and it pretty good shape. I am going to take off the starter tomorrow night to see if it is engaging the gear to flywheel.

Blessings!
Richard

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
you need to have the bike in neutral, and the clutch lever pulled in, and the side stand down in order to start... ohh and the spark plugs have to be in and hooked up to the coils

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
you need to have the bike in neutral, and the clutch lever pulled in, and the side stand down in order to start... ohh and the spark plugs have to be in and hooked up to the coils
If the bikes in neutral, you don't have to touch the clutch lever and it doesn't matter if the sidestand is up or down.

Doesn't matter if the spark plugs are hooked up to the coils.... The bike won't start at all if the "spark plugs are out". ;)

·
Registered
399 Posts
My bike will start in gear with the sidestand down! I dont have any interlock whatsoever. however, it is best to start in neutral, clutch in, stand up for safety. My bike doesnt have any interlocks

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
I think I would put the burden of getting this thing to idle in the sellers hands. If it ain't runnin', maybe you should ... just sayin'.

~~C8>

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I don't have any of those so called "safety switches" either. Not only are they unnecessary complication, but they tend to fail, usually at the worst possible place/time. Learn to ride right, and you won't need them. If you choose to keep them, learn how to diagnose and bypass them when they do fail, so you won't be stranded. I always start my bike in gear before taking off on it, except for the first start of the day, when I start it in neutral on the centerstand, let it warm up, shut it off, push it off the stand, get on, put it in first, pull in the clutch, start it, let out the clutch and go. Sounds like a lot, but it is really just one smooth continuous movement. It is not good to put a bike in gear while it is stopped with the engine running. Unlike a car clutch, a motorcycle clutch will always have some fluid friction, which is what causes that "clunk" when you shift into gear with the bike not moving.

If pushing the start button will not trip the relay and turn the starter, but you can get the starter to turn by jumpering the two terminals on the relay, you are either not getting voltage to the relay from the starter button, or the relay is bad. If you are getting voltage to the starter, and it spins but does not turn the engine, the problem is with the starter. With the plugs removed, there will be no compression, the engine will turn freely. But you can hear it turn over, it's a completely different sound from just the starter motor itself spinning. The relay (not solenoid, the Vulcan starter does not have a solenoid) only sends current to the starter. It has nothing to do with whether the starter works right or not.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok I got some where today. I finally realized that the engine is turning over. Never had a bike sound so quiet in the cranking stage. Discovered that the starter may be bad. With a fully charged good battery the bike barely turns over.

Still looking for that cause.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
ok I got some where today. I finally realized that the engine is turning over. Never had a bike sound so quiet in the cranking stage. Discovered that the starter may be bad. With a fully charged good battery the bike barely turns over.

Still looking for that cause.
These bikes need a strong battery to crank the engine over, so I would not rule out the battery yet. Do you have spark?
The more info you provide the group, the better suggestions we can make. A slow turning engine during start could be a lot of different things from weak battery to tightly set cam chain pensioner(if they are the manual type)...and lots of other stuff including a starter motor that might need a good cleaning.

Give us more info...and a photo or two can't hurt.

Read through the forum for symptoms and you will find tons of good information to work with.

I agree that it is up to the seller to prove it runs. If it were me making the purchase...not running...no deal...just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
Jump the bike battery with an automotive battery (without the car running). If it cranks the bike, the bike battery is weak or bad.

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
My bike will start in gear with the sidestand down! I dont have any interlock whatsoever. however, it is best to start in neutral, clutch in, stand up for safety. My bike doesnt have any interlocks
If your bike is "bone stock"...it does. Put the bike in first gear, take your hand off the clutch lever and then hit the starter.

Does your bike jump foreward?

Start the bikes as usual, pull in the clutch lever, put it in first gear, but leave the sides stand down - and try to take off.

Can you without the motor dying?

If you answered yes to both questions, then you're right. You don't have any "interlocks" ...(which means your bike is not bone stock)

If you answered "no" to either or both questions, your bike Does have safety interlocks.

Many folks do remove and bypass these switches, usually after they break. I agree with Jerry, I don't think you need them if you know what you are doing. But I'm not going to remove them. If one fails I'd likely just replace it.

Why? Warranty and Insurance liability. Maybe a long shot, but I'd hate to be in court arguing an accident case with a car and have them bring up the fact the safety equipment the maker put on the bike was broken or worse, purposely removed by me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok found out that it may be the starter.

I have a good 12 volt car battery hooked to this bike. We discovered today that the motor is turning over and we have spark. When we pulled the spark plugs or had them in the bike the engine turned over the same. It may actually be working right but all the bikes I have ever had if the plugs was pulled the engine would turn over faster but with this bike it doesn't.

I don't have a working solenoid, I have to jump it with a screw driver. It is at my place now because I needed to clean the carbs. This bike has sat up for a very long time.

So I am going to pull the carbs and clean the tank and see if I can fire this off. If not then I will look back into slow starting issues. I believe once we have this running it may fix the other problems.

I am not putting a dime into the bike until I purchase it. I am fixing it to keep the cost down. He is selling it for $500.00 unless he has to repair it to run, then it will be more. I can do the same to save money.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts