Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
The 13.24v at idle is a tiny bit low, but it is charging well enough. The 16v is overcharging and will eventually ruin the battery. I would say the stator is good but the RR is not regulating the charge voltage correctly. Most likely the RR needs replacement.

The glowing red cable indicates a dead short somewhere. Not good at all and could set everything on fire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
The 13.24v at idle is a tiny bit low, but it is charging well enough. The 16v is overcharging and will eventually ruin the battery. I would say the stator is good but the RR is not regulating the charge voltage correctly. Most likely the RR needs replacement.

The glowing red cable indicates a dead short somewhere. Not good at all and could set everything on fire.
Where should I look and see what’s causing it and also to add the metal on the negative terminal melted a bit when I removed the battery

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Where should I look and see what’s causing it and also to add the metal on the negative terminal melted a bit when I removed the battery
I would find the short before reconnecting the battery, you can end up cooking it.

Start checking all the wires looking for melted spots, bare spots, etc.

With the battery disconnected, use the meter to check for continuity from positive wires to ground. Any positive wire showing continuity to ground (with battery disconnected) will be shorted out.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
You can try unplugging the RR, then lightly touch one battery cable onto the terminal and watch for a large amount of sparks. The RR is known to short out and melt it's connector, and we already know it's malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Major update.

so the bikes starter from the connector got bright red when I got back from test riding it I had to literally hurry and disconnect the battery and put water on there just so that nothing would happen to the bike I might just end up trying to take it to a shop and see what they can do with it to make it run good cuz when I was riding it it was running fine like normal even tho the speed odometer wasn’t working even tho I fixed that recently but oh well
Wait, what? Exactly what got red? The wires? The starter motor itself? When spinny things start making grindy noises, seizure is a real possibility. You may have been driving around with the starter motor being driven by the engine. Was it red hot when you stopped? Or did you stop and then try to start it again and it got hot? Do these starters have brushes/commutators? Cause damage to that interface could be the source of the grinding, and if the leads melted together or a chunk of brush got knocked off and stuck, that could short the thing out. But that portion of the electrical system would only have current when pushing the start button, so it wouldn't be energized during a normal ride, and a short in the motor wouldn't do anything. A short between power and the starter wire on the other hand could leave the starter motor constantly energized. You'd think you'd hear that, but if the motor is now fused to itself, it would just burn.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Wait, what? Exactly what got red? The wires? The starter motor itself? When spinny things start making grindy noises, seizure is a real possibility. You may have been driving around with the starter motor being driven by the engine. Was it red hot when you stopped? Or did you stop and then try to start it again and it got hot? Do these starters have brushes/commutators? Cause damage to that interface could be the source of the grinding, and if the leads melted together or a chunk of brush got knocked off and stuck, that could short the thing out. But that portion of the electrical system would only have current when pushing the start button, so it wouldn't be energized during a normal ride, and a short in the motor wouldn't do anything. A short between power and the starter wire on the other hand could leave the starter motor constantly energized. You'd think you'd hear that, but if the motor is now fused to itself, it would just burn.
Ok , reading your post made something click, you're right on a lot of what you said.

Julio, I think you should look at the new solenoid, which I think may have been stuck. Could be farther up the line, like the starter relay in the Junction Box, or even the start button itself. Could be the starter motor is shorted inside.

The starter can't be driven by the engine, as long as the starter clutch is working. However, if the starter ran for a long period of time that's going to overheat the cables. Though it sounds more like something is shorted out.

Edit... Yes the starter has brushes and an armature. So that may be where the short is. The wire is going to make heat at the short traveling back to the battery. On the ground side it's going to travel from the battery towards the grounded connection.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
So you may be looking at two problems now, a shorted starter, and a stuck solenoid or start circuit.

Starter solenoids can stick after the contacts get burned during long cranking. The burned spots end up welding themselves together.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Ok , reading your post made something click, you're right on a lot of what you said.

Julio, I think you should look at the new solenoid, which I think may have been stuck. Could be farther up the line, like the starter relay in the Junction Box, or even the start button itself. Could be the starter motor is shorted inside.

The starter can't be driven by the engine, as long as the starter clutch is working. However, if the starter ran for a long period of time that's going to overheat the cables. Though it sounds more like something is shorted out.

Edit... Yes the starter has brushes and an armature. So that may be where the short is. The wire is going to make heat at the short traveling back to the battery. On the ground side it's going to travel from the battery towards the grounded connection.
Hadn't thought of a stuck-in-the-on-position solenoid. That seems much more likely than a short between a random always-hot wire and the positive leg of the starter circuit.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Hadn't thought of a stuck-in-the-on-position solenoid. That seems much more likely than a short between a random always-hot wire and the positive leg of the starter circuit.
That's what I'm thinking.... Start circuit became stuck on, cooked the starter, then the shorted starter lit up the cables.

Worst case scenario.... Need a starter or rebuild it, another solenoid, and a battery if you're unlucky.

Edit... After all that's fixed, there's still the possibility of a current draw draining the battery, which I think could be the RR.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Obviously sounds like the battery is down however the motor spinning I am at certain intervals making a grinding sound that could be the gear on the starter that mates with the gear that spins the engine it sounds like there is a missing tooth on a gear or a malfunction of the starter clutch because you’re cranking it out here in a certain time and then it’s all right and then it’s back to the same thing so it could very well be you got a missing gear but I didn’t hear in any ignition noises like where the motor kicked usually when that happens you hear it you know you hear the engine kick

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
This is one of those situations where the forum would benefit from an UC (think Zoom or webex) type experience.
That's a great idea. I did create a Discord server, and I know it has voice chat, but I'm not certain about video. I can look into it if you think it would be helpful?

61 - 74 of 74 Posts