Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Alright so update on the bike I put the battery back on fully charged all the way and the bike fired up right away it work for like three time but then it wouldn’t start again and it made the grinding noise so it might be the battery even tho I bought that 4 months ago and it’s an agm battery. But does anyone know what this is for I believe this might also be the reason why the bike won’t start as good. View attachment 54832
Starter clutch.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Hey Spockster, so if you don't mind, could you explain how you came to that conclusion? You're almost always right, and I'm impressed and dumbfounded at the same time. I imagine there's some methodology, or, trial-and-error that occurs while working on this bike that brought you to your diagnosis.

So, knowing the symptoms, what do you eliminate as the cause of them in order to arrive at your conclusion?

This will be helpful to those of us that wish to learn the hows and whys, not just the fixing... Thanks in advance!
Because that's what he circled in the pic. ;) I was just answering the question.

Diagnosing? Just the sound it makes and knowing what's in there to make that sort of noises.

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
Because that's what he circled in the pic. ;) I was just answering the question.

Diagnosing? Just the sound it makes and knowing what's in there to make that sort of noises.
Haha! I see now. I hadn't actually read which post you replied to. I'm a dummy. I mistakenly thought you were answering his last post. Sorry.o_O

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Alright so update I put the battery again on the bike and fully charged and it started up but then I turned off after 20 minutes but then after a few minutes it wouldn’t started grinding again I’m not sure if it’s the starter or something else but I feel like it might not be the battery cuz I got it tested and it’s still good but for some reason it lost lots of power once I put it to charge does anyone know what could be making it loose power and possibly making it so it won’t start right

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Alright so update I put the battery again on the bike and fully charged and it started up but then I turned off after 20 minutes but then after a few minutes it wouldn’t started grinding again I’m not sure if it’s the starter or something else but I feel like it might not be the battery cuz I got it tested and it’s still good but for some reason it lost lots of power once I put it to charge does anyone know what could be making it loose power and possibly making it so it won’t start right
It might have a draw when everything is turned off. Did you check the voltage each time?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
It might have a draw when everything is turned off. Did you check the voltage each time?
I’m not sure I don’t have something to test the voltages but I just got done putting a new starter and a new battery on the bike and she fired right up like nothing but now it’s getting a bit harder to turn her on I’m not sure what it is but something is draining the battery cuz it’s cranking slowly now

·
Registered
315 Posts
You should get a tester/voltmeter. You will need to check the stator, if not now then sometime. The bike will run off the battery if the stator doesn't recharge it. Pull the fuse for the headlight and see if that helps add a little life to the battery. You may be to the point where you will need to check circuits for power or the lack thereof. You've done pretty good so far. Good luck, but I think you will need a tester.

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Yes, you need a meter. Lowe's should have some under $30. The $5 ones at HF can be sketchy, if not just broken when you buy them.

Then we can show you how to set up for the current draw test.

Much of the time it's the RR drawing current after shutdown, if not totally shorting out. And then there's stator testing too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’ll try getting one tomorrow if I have the time but what does RR stand for I’m just new to all this but Ik how to work on things and fix them when it needs to be done.
I’d also like to add what’s a good site to buy parts for my bike as well like aftermarket and also for maintenance

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
I’ll try getting one tomorrow if I have the time but what does RR stand for I’m just new to all this but Ik how to work on things and fix them when it needs to be done.
I’d also like to add what’s a good site to buy parts for my bike as well like aftermarket and also for maintenance
I always check eBay first, and I always get free shipping.

·
Super Moderator
583 Posts
I always check eBay first, and I always get free shipping.
If you happen to come across one that's reliable for a good price, link me to it. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to have a new one ready for the inevitable failure. I do plan on moving mine, just haven't got around to it yet.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Alright so update I just put the battery back on fully charged and it ran for a while and then turned off and it’s slowly turning the starter and also the negative cable that connects to the battery is hot

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Alright so update I just put the battery back on fully charged and it ran for a while and then turned off and it’s slowly turning the starter and also the negative cable that connects to the battery is hot
It would be normal for the cables to heat up if cranking the starter for long periods.

Need to know what the battery voltage is. And is it charging?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It would be normal for the cables to heat up if cranking the starter for long periods.

Need to know what the battery voltage is. And is it charging?
Alright I bought one of them to test the bolts and stuff for the battery but can you tell me on what settings I need to have it on when I’m going to test it

·
Registered
10,338 Posts
Alright I bought one of them to test the bolts and stuff for the battery but can you tell me on what settings I need to have it on when I’m going to test it
For most of the voltage testing use 20v DC.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
For most of the voltage testing use 20v DC.
Alright so the battery was at 13- 12 and when I was trying to turn the bike on it would go down to like 9 or 6 but it would also slowly drain to but only like 0.01 a second but at this moment the bikes is running and the battery is at a range of 13.24-13.26 is that good or should I look some where else and I’m doing what you said on the dc and 20v
Edit. I just had the bike at 4500 rpm’s and it would be at a 16+ volts and it would keep rising

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Major update.

so the bikes starter from the connector got bright red when I got back from test riding it I had to literally hurry and disconnect the battery and put water on there just so that nothing would happen to the bike I might just end up trying to take it to a shop and see what they can do with it to make it run good cuz when I was riding it it was running fine like normal even tho the speed odometer wasn’t working even tho I fixed that recently but oh well

41 - 60 of 74 Posts