Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Two days ago I was involved in an accident that resulted in my handlebars facing towards the left, and my front wheel facing slightly to the right, (the trip tree was snapped off at the crown and bent on the bottom); the bike wouldn't start. I replaced the trip-tree, forks, and rebuilt the dash; all the elec's work.

My problem is starting. She starts perfect when I use a screwdriver and make contact to the two solenoid screws (underneath right side-cover), but she wont click when I apply the starter button. Upon disassembly of that starter button, the spring within got lost somewhere within the engine; thus I'm presently working of getting a new/used switch (posted elsewhere).

Can I please get some input as to where my starting problem may lie?

NOTE: the accident happened 4 blocks from home; she wouldn't start (not even click). After being pushed two blocks, I tried starting her again and boom, she started; I rode her two blocks home (twisted as she were); turned her off, but again she won't start unless I use the screwdriver/solenoid method. Ride safe.
I would suspect the handlebar starter button which you are replacing.
Otherwise, clean/check wiring connectors.
When malfunctioning, turning on ignition (lock) switch on, If dash lights do not come on, then it would be in the Ignition switch and/or wiring (connectors).

hope this helps
WilliamTech :smiley_th

·
Registered
126 Posts
When my son's bike had that problem, I tried starting it while moving the handlebars back and forth. There was a "magic" spot where a connection was made and it would start. That helped me isolate the wires that needed attention. In my case it was the connector between the headlight and the gas tank. You may need to trace all the wires and check them individually from the starter button on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Check the connectors. A wire could have been pulled loose and it may not be visible.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Ok looked at the diagrams for both the starting system and ignition system and came up with the fallowing tests

1)Use a test light and probe pin 11 (solid Black Wire) on the unction Box (fuse box). Turn the ignition switch on, engine stop switch on, and try to start bike with the starter button. Does the test light light up?
Yes: go to test 2
No:Go to test 2a
2)turn ignition switch off, unprobe the test light from pin 11, and move it to pin 13 (yellow/red wire). Turn ignition switch to on/run, Engine Stop Switch to on, and again try to start bike with thumb starter button. Does the test light light up?
Yes:go to test 3
no: Go to Test 3a
2a) Test for voltage at the ignition coils red wire. Voltage present?
Yes:Faulty Starter Button
No: Faulty Ignition Switch or Faulty Kill Switch

3)Unhook the test light, with the ignition on, and engine stop switch on, run a jumper wire from Positive battery post to starter solenoid yellow/red wire connector. Does the bike turn over/start?

Yes:bad wire between solenoid and Junction Box
No: bad solenoid

3a)Place jumper wire from pin 12 (Yellow/Green wire) on fuse box to ground and try to start the bike. Does the bike start?

Yes:go to step 4
No:Bad Junction Box

4)check continuity between Neutral Saftey Switch and ground with the trans mission in Nuetral. is continuity present?

Yes:Bad Junction Box
No: Neutral Safety Switch is Faulty

1 - 15 of 15 Posts