Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was out crusing all day yesterday and when i went to start it this morning there was a slight crank and a clicking type of noise. so i figured it was the battery cuzi had to charge it before. so i got a new one from bull dog battery and its doing the same thing ! it wants to crank but most of the time its that clicking/buzzing sound then noticed some smoke so i stopped wtf is wrong with it lol thanks

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really but the 2 wires that come out from the gas tank get really hot!! i got it to push start and run to my brothers house.. i shut it off there and went to start it and did the same thing

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Starter motor drawing too many amps? Did the bike fire right up when push starting?

My 95 was hard to start (turned over slow and backfired) last season so I cleaned the starter motor by using emery cloth on the brass contacts (forgot the electrical name of that part) and that fixed the problem. Scale of 1 - 10 in difficulty about a 6; not real hard to do or take the motor to a auto electric for testing/cleaning.

DT

DT

·
Registered
2 Posts
great 1, I have the exact same problem with my '91. I have no idea how to fix it. I took it into the shop, and I don't think they know how to fix it either (well, I keep calling in to get an update and they are still trying to figure it out).

Have you figured out how to fix this yet? I am getting sick of waiting for the shop, I need to get out and ride! Did cleaning the starter motor help?

·
Registered
135 Posts
i was out crusing all day yesterday and when i went to start it this morning there was a slight crank and a clicking type of noise. so i figured it was the battery cuzi had to charge it before. so i got a new one from bull dog battery and its doing the same thing ! it wants to crank but most of the time its that clicking/buzzing sound then noticed some smoke so i stopped wtf is wrong with it lol thanks
On a 4-legged vehicle this would likely be a dirty or loose battery/starter connection. Smoke, heat, and maybe sparks would be generated from it...like a short somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Check the leads coming off the battery. Most starting problems like this can be traced to a loose connection somewhere in the system. The clicking solenoid tells me that either something is drawing power from the system and not allowing it to close the circuit or that there is a high resistance open or shorted wire somewhere in the circuit.
If the battery leads are clean and tight, keep tracing the wires to the solenoid, if they are clean and tight, move to the starter moter itself.
Since you mentioned that the wires coming from the tank are getting hot, it sounds like you may have some sort of short somewhere in the system. They shouldn't get hot at any time.
Smoke is also an indication of a short somewhere as well.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Check the leads coming off the battery. Most starting problems like this can be traced to a loose connection somewhere in the system. The clicking solenoid tells me that either something is drawing power from the system and not allowing it to close the circuit or that there is a high resistance open or shorted wire somewhere in the circuit.
If the battery leads are clean and tight, keep tracing the wires to the solenoid, if they are clean and tight, move to the starter moter itself.
Since you mentioned that the wires coming from the tank are getting hot, it sounds like you may have some sort of short somewhere in the system. They shouldn't get hot at any time.
Smoke is also an indication of a short somewhere as well.
Agreed. I had the same problem on Orleans (pretty amazing smoke!), and found out that when I'd replaced the RH control, the two leads that run from the brake lever to the rear brake light had been reversed...I mean, I had reversed them (this was a used control, and they had been separated by PO, so I had just taken a wild guess and hooked 'em up). It's probably something simple - take your time and check everything as Jim suggested.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good call everyone. A new battery cable fixed the problem. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts