Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there is a separate fuse on the starter solenoid. Not part of the Junction box.. I hear a clicking in the junction box that does not seem to be coming from the solenoid. 1986 Vn 750 died suddenly one day and now the starter button only produces a click in the J/B. Battery was tested good by a reputable bike shop. Help...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a separate fuse on the starter solenoid. Not part of the Junction box.. I hear a clicking in the junction box that does not seem to be coming from the solenoid. 1986 Vn 750 died suddenly one day and now the starter button only produces a click in the J/B. Battery was tested good by a reputable bike shop. Help...
No separate fuse on solenoid..... only bikes main 30 Amp affecting ignition switch.

Check electrical connectors at JB.
Also, Possible bad battery, bad battery cable connections / grounds, bad JB (?), dirty/defective Ignition Switch/starter button contacts......

hth
:smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I'm cleaning out all the connectors tonight and going over all the wiring that was mangled by the previous owner. He added ground effects and a neon light bar and the wiring job was way below par. I'm uninstalling all of the above as I'm troubleshooting this issue. Thanks for the quick reply!!

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I cleaned up all the connections and am able to jump the solenoid and make it crank. Starter button makes the J/B click but doesnt crank.. all the safety switches seem ok.. Any ideas?

·
4,508 Posts
I cleaned up all the connections and am able to jump the solenoid and make it crank. Starter button makes the J/B click but doesnt crank.. all the safety switches seem ok.. Any ideas?
Examining the schematics, my next thought is the Ignition Switch and/or Grip Starter button internal Connections / Grip Electrical cable Connector...(behind headlight / & neck covers)

some here have discovered turning the Bars to the right (or was it left?) allowed bike to crank/start....iirc...problem was in those connectors.

hth

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
to sum up, The headlight can be intermittent and the headlight indicator also seems to be intermittent as well. In my mind, as long as I'm hearing that JB click, I should have power from the bars to the JB. I was thinking it was the JB internal relay that may be the issue.. I certainly need to check out the connectors behind the headlight and inside the headlight assembly to TS the intermittent lights, but I dont understand how this could keep the solenoid from being activated.

Also when the bike initially broke, it stalled out, I started it back up using the starter button, it stalled again and then the starter button stopped working... Maybe the relay in the JB box went bad grounding the system???? Im so lost...

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
There is a starter system relay in the JB.

I suggest you pull the right side cover, if you haven't already. Neutral, key on and push the start button. Test for power on the R/Y (I believe) wire connected to the starter solenoid.

Get back to us.

added-there should be bat cable in, bat cable out to starter, B/Y (grd) and either R or R/Y (switch).

edit- switch power to starter solenoid should be Y/R.

·
4,508 Posts
There is a starter system relay in the JB.

I suggest you pull the right side cover, if you haven't already. Neutral, key on and push the start button. Test for power on the R/Y (I believe) wire connected to the starter solenoid.

Get back to us.

added-there should be bat cable in, bat cable out to starter, B/Y (grd) and either R or R/Y (switch).

edit- switch power to starter solenoid should be Y/R.
Good Post....why didn't I think of that approach ? :doh:

(If the bike was in front of me, a meter available, I would have. Sorry...) :doh:

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Ya could just bypass all the safety crap too like many here have.... ;)

That eliminates many variables....

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
12 volts on the positive side of the solenoid. Ignition on, in neutral. No change when pressing starter button. Only JB click. Negative side has no power. Can jump the solenoid and crank the engine. Something tells me its definitely the JB...

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
12 volts on the positive side of the solenoid. Ignition on, in neutral. No change when pressing starter button. Only JB click. Negative side has no power. Can jump the solenoid and crank the engine. Something tells me its definitely the JB...
To wrap up the primary starter circuit, I would supply power though a jumper to the switch wire at the solenoid. In neutral.

If it does not crank, the solenoid is bad. Possibly among other things.

If it does crank, I or others can/will find you which wire to test for power at the J/B.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To wrap up the primary starter circuit, I would supply power though a jumper to the switch wire at the solenoid. In neutral.

If it does not crank, the solenoid is bad. Possibly among other things.

If it does crank, I or others can/will find you which wire to test for power at the J/B.
I can get it to crank by jumping positive to negative on the solenoid with a screwdriver if thats what you mean. Figures they put relays in a sealed box... Damn 1986 technology...

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I can get it to crank by jumping positive to negative on the solenoid with a screwdriver if thats what you mean. Figures they put relays in a sealed box... Damn 1986 technology...
Nope. Jumper from bat in to the Y/R switch wire/terminal on the solenoid.

If the motor turns over, you are done with the primary starter circuit. If it does not, the solenoid is bad.

A bad relay typically does not 'click'. The fact that you hear a click should mean your secondary starter circuit is good.

I will help what/where I can, but try to save me typing. I have no interest in trying to convince you of something/anything.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

If the motor turns over, you are done with the primary starter circuit. If it does not, the solenoid is bad.

A bad relay typically does not 'click'. The fact that you hear a click should mean your secondary starter circuit is good.

I will help what/where I can, but try to save me typing. I have no interest in trying to convince you of something/anything.
I will try that when I get home tonight. I definitely appreciate the time everyone takes on this site to help. I was just making sure I understood what you were saying. Thanks again!!

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Ahhh now I gotcha. Sorry I'm generally not ignorant just needed a lesson on primary and secondary ignition circuits which I now have and am ready to go home and give it a go.. Thanks again

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
primary and secondary ignition circuits
The primary STARTER circuit is just what supplies power to the starter. One or more secondary circuits do the rest.

Wiring is a lot like mathematics. There are only 3 kinds of people in the world, those that understand math and those that do not.

edit-"Sorry I'm generally not ignorant" completely unwarranted and counter-productive. I have been involved hands on w/mechanics since 1961, given that period of time a chimp should be competent. Remember-experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted. The major and probably only problem will probably be my poor communication skills. This forum has helped somewhat with that. You will be fine. Some of these sentences are probably not linear progression.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK so I jumped from the battery positive terminal to the Y/R side of the solenoid plug. The solenoid clicks but does not turn over. Battery is at a full charge and starter was tested good. So this means at the very least the solenoid needs to be replaced. Am I right? Here's one more question. My bike is an 86. Is the solenoid the same from 86 to 87---?

·
4,508 Posts
OK so I jumped from the battery positive terminal to the Y/R side of the solenoid plug. The solenoid clicks but does not turn over. Battery is at a full charge and starter was tested good. So this means at the very least the solenoid needs to be replaced. Am I right? Here's one more question. My bike is an 86. Is the solenoid the same from 86 to 87---?
Originally Posted by wmsonta View Post

Yup

Solenoid the same 1985 - 2006....search the the threads....an automotive Solenoid is compatible (cheaper and available)...Search the threads.....i think it may have been a SlimVulcanRider post.

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Did I mention I love this site? You guys are awesome!!:rockon:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts