Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I let my buddy ride my bike while i was out of town as a thank you for helping me drive to go get it and all that. While I'm gone he had a seal pop out holding coolant and now also the bike wont turn over. I had been having issues starting the bike up once in a while thinking its just an old bike but now it has reached its pinnacle. After tracing and tightening and checking every wire i could see i came to the conclusion it is the relay. It clicks when i push the start button but it doesnt seem like anything is being transferred over. Battery is golden. I have bridged the terminal and the engine turns over struggling to put a smile on my face but it just isnt having it. I need a part number for this piece and does anyone else agree this is most likely my issue?

p.s. i fixed my leak temporarily. its the silver 90 degree elbow pipe on the right side. one shop wanted about 450 to do everything and i just dont see that happening, i got this bike for me to learn! I put the ring back in and sealed it with silicone sealant for now until its not riding weather or it leaks again. again any tips on this is nice too

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Push the start button at the same time that you bridge the terminals. This may help it start up.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
So I let my buddy ride my bike while i was out of town as a thank you for helping me drive to go get it and all that. While I'm gone he had a seal pop out holding coolant and now also the bike wont turn over. I had been having issues starting the bike up once in a while thinking its just an old bike but now it has reached its pinnacle. After tracing and tightening and checking every wire i could see i came to the conclusion it is the relay. It clicks when i push the start button but it doesnt seem like anything is being transferred over. Battery is golden. I have bridged the terminal and the engine turns over struggling to put a smile on my face but it just isnt having it. I need a part number for this piece and does anyone else agree this is most likely my issue?

p.s. i fixed my leak temporarily. its the silver 90 degree elbow pipe on the right side. one shop wanted about 450 to do everything and i just dont see that happening, i got this bike for me to learn! I put the ring back in and sealed it with silicone sealant for now until its not riding weather or it leaks again. again any tips on this is nice too
Does the relay just click once when you press the starter button? (Probably OK).
Or does it make a series of clicks as long as the buttom is held down? (Definately needs replacement).

You say the battery is golden. Humor me- :) How many volts does it have at the terminals?

The fact that the starter struggles to turn the engine even over when you bridge the relay terminals seems to indicate either a weak battery, or a faulty starter in need of a rebuild kit.

Try boosting the bike battery with your car.
Most here say to only boost the bike with the car engine not running.
(I`m not totally convinced of the need for this as both systems are nominally 12 volts, and the reg/rec safely charges up to 15 volts.)

In any case attach the positive clamp - first try onto the battery,

second try to the starter side relay terminal,

and third try- directly to the terminal on the bottom of the starter.

By this process of elimination you should be able to find the faulty part. :smiley_th

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not know actually, my parents lost (probably loaned and forgot about) my battery jumper and charger with the meter on it... so i have to keep taking it to O'riellys up the street to have them charge it and check it. Its a gel battery and brand spanking new like the box is still sitting on my porch. Ill try testing those tomorrow or monday. no auto store has the relay and i dont have the part number so im no help. On monday i plan to go to the local kawasaki dealerships parts department and check into it. i dont see it being much more than $30 right?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
I had trouble with mine, and the bike would not start with the bad solenoid unless the start button was depressed at the same time the solenoid was by-passed. The start button works a relay in the j-box that give fire to the coils.

I think a was out 40$ for the one I got off of ebay.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Does the relay just click once when you press the starter button? (Probably OK).
Or does it make a series of clicks as long as the buttom is held down? (Definately needs replacement).

You say the battery is golden. Humor me- :) How many volts does it have at the terminals?

The fact that the starter struggles to turn the engine even over when you bridge the relay terminals seems to indicate either a weak battery, or a faulty starter in need of a rebuild kit.

Try boosting the bike battery with your car.
Most here say to only boost the bike with the car engine not running.
(I`m not totally convinced of the need for this as both systems are nominally 12 volts, and the reg/rec safely charges up to 15 volts.)In any case attach the positive clamp - first try onto the battery,

second try to the starter side relay terminal,

and third try- directly to the terminal on the bottom of the starter.

By this process of elimination you should be able to find the faulty part. :smiley_th
I am with you on this.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I do not know actually, my parents lost (probably loaned and forgot about) my battery jumper and charger with the meter on it... so i have to keep taking it to O'riellys up the street to have them charge it and check it. Its a gel battery and brand spanking new like the box is still sitting on my porch. Ill try testing those tomorrow or monday. no auto store has the relay and i dont have the part number so im no help. On monday i plan to go to the local kawasaki dealerships parts department and check into it. i dont see it being much more than $30 right?
Don`t be in such a hurry to buy parts before you know you need them.
Ma Kaw will lighten your wallet to the tune of $85. Number 27010 on the diagram:
http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmo...rcycle-vulcan-750-vn750a7-us/o/m4555#sch51201

27010: SWITCH,MAGNETIC
796647 Enter
0-99 $84.51

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
this is a needed part at this point. ill do the test but im about 90% sure this is the cause. Is that the part number i would need to tell my local parts store? also, the whole reason i wanted to buy this part in a store was that if its not the one i need or not the fix i can take it back and get it handled a lot quicker

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
In most cases they will not take electical parts back.

When mine went bad, it would still click, but it would not activate the switch. There is a spring that works the switch. The plunger retracts with the current flow and the spring pushes a washer that makes the curcuit to the starter. The solenoid got hot and melted keeping the washer from moving. I hope this helps.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
this is a needed part at this point. ill do the test but im about 90% sure this is the cause. Is that the part number i would need to tell my local parts store? also, the whole reason i wanted to buy this part in a store was that if its not the one i need or not the fix i can take it back and get it handled a lot quicker
X2 to niteriders statement that electrical parts are not returnable usually.

Here`s a new aftermarket solenoid on Ebay right now for $36:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Starter-Solenoid-Relay-Kawasaki-VN750-VULCAN-750-87-06-/280639281969

These guys are lower priced than Bike Bandit, and do have the kawi part numbers listed:
http://www.indyoem.com/fiche_sectio...Motorcycles&make=KAWASAKI&year=1991&fveh=9040

27010 SWITCH,MAGNETIC
27010-1209 1 $66.85
part number is in bold letters

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I am with you on this.
So am I. You don't usually need to have the car running but it wont hurt anything. I heard that advice years ago and I think it pertained more to small bikes with the tiny batteries. Peace.

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok get a load of this. I have had the same problem where my starter button just wont work. I have been using a hot wire to the starter celluloid. and that is how my live has been push the starter button and my extra button and it started right up.
The kicker is that yesterday I washed it with a high pressure washer and the starter button works to engage the and start like normal.
This is the second time water made this work right. Last time it was a case if heavy rain and that was some time ago. I have looked everywhere i could think to find this bad connection or..... what i just don't know.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
ok get a load of this. I have had the same problem where my starter button just wont work. I have been using a hot wire to the starter celluloid. and that is how my live has been push the starter button and my extra button and it started right up.
The kicker is that yesterday I washed it with a high pressure washer and the starter button works to engage the and start like normal.
This is the second time water made this work right. Last time it was a case if heavy rain and that was some time ago. I have looked everywhere i could think to find this bad connection or..... what i just don't know.
your start buttons sounds to have bad contacts inside that water either cleans up momentarily, or bridges the gap just enough to arc. I would take apart teh switch housing and have a look see.. you might be able to make the switch work normal again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! got my part in! Put it all back together and started that bitch right up!!!! it felt good lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welp, I spoke to soon. Problem still persist, i got it push started and it ran just fine but it will not start on its own. Would anyone like to enlighten me on started rebuild or point me in the right direction? This is my next logical route.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
before you rebuild the starter, have you tried applying ground to the the starter solenoid? also have you tried hooking your jumper cables up to the starter then the car battery? if the starter works in any of these two scenarios, then the starter is fine. if it doesn't work in the last scenario, then you need to rebuild the starter...

What parts did you get for your start problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I replaced the started relay with one from a 92 I got for $10, I feel like this bike isnt wanting to be ridden right now. I walked outside an hour ago and there was a huugggee puddle of gas and a steady little stream coming down. I flipped my tank switch to off and checked all my hoses. I think one had popped off but still! So just clip my cables on the post on the Starter towards the front botom? Im guessing in nuetral and if its good the bike will just turn over and maybe start?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
clamp one jumper cable to the frame at a good grounding point, and the other end to the starter main positive ( i think its the one you are referring to... I do not have a bike or manual in front of me) then clamp battery positive and touch the battery negative to activate the starter. it should turn over and start

1 - 18 of 18 Posts