Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,
I am typing exactly what my car mechanic told me to type. It makes no sense to me but I am sure you will know what he means by this:

There is no Voltage from Ignition to Solenoid -- Negative Side
No Spark
No Crank

Can cross terminals on starter and cranks over fine
Fuses are good--Unless ther is an Inline fuse that I am missing.

Chaffed wire or Broken Wire?
Bad Ignition switch?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated!!!!!!!

·
Registered
468 Posts
check and make sure all connections are clean. positive from starter to solenoid, ground to frame. you can use a small wire brush and 1000 grit sand paper.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Was there power on the positive? If so bad solenoid or bad ground. Good news its a cheap part available on amazon. Had one on my bike. I dont think its a statter issue but they can short easily i think. I rebuilt mine from ebay kit. Worked great. Had to trip it to fit the case but worked well. So clean all connections and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, Positive had power. He crossed the solenoid and engine cranked and starter seemed to work. He thinks it is somewhere in the starter switch or a bad wire between the ignition switch and starter or solenoid. If that makes any sense. It is all Greek to me.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
So have you checked the kickstand and clutch switches to make sure they're not stuck your power circuit is good, something is wrong on the control side. Make sure that plunger on the kickstand is all the way out. Have you been trying this with the bike in neutral or up on the stand?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes. key in the ON position and starter button was pushed in. Also, had the cycle in Neutral with the green light confirming this. The kickstand was down as it was holding the cycle up as we did all these things.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Lol try to wiggle your key a bit while the key is on. If there is play back and forth, leave the key in the more counterclockwise position (turned back a hair instead of forward).

That's what mine does lol.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
KISS... Keep It Stupid Simple

Start with making sure the side stand switch, neutral switch, and cutch switch are working right. The side stand switch is an easy bypass, unplug the switch and run a jumper wire between the two contacts on the wiring harness side. The neutral switch is also an easy bypass, there is a green (maybe it is blue I forget which) wire coming out from the back of the transmission on the underneath side, unplug it and and hold it to ground while the key is on, then try and start the bike...
If the bike still won't start, take apart the starter button and clean the contacts, and make sure the spring isn't to loose.
Check for continuity between the start switch wire output and the solenoid contacts. If no continuity, you have a problem inside the fuse box or a broken wire.
If every thing tests out fine thus far, try jumping with a car battery. If It jumps, you have a week battery. If It doesn't jump, you have a bad solenoid.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
That ignition switch is a pita. Clean and then when it works strap the puck tight with a zip tie. It can vibrate loose.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
What Slim and Goofy just said... :smiley_th:smiley_th:smiley_th

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone have a picture of this kickstand plunger? I cant find it on my cycle. LOL, it probably was staring at my face but didnt yell out, "Here I am."

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts
Right in front of the kickstand.has wires coming outta it.has a plungerswitch that opens and closes with the kickstand movement

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Russians came, didn't like what they saw, and went back home.

I found the kickstand plunger and it was moving in and out freely. Also, the clutch switch works but not of concern since cycle is in neutral when trying to start. At this point, I believe the problem has to be in the starter switch and that is far beyond my abilities. It is sooooooo much easier teaching college students.

Next stop, a dealer who has the materials and knowledge to deal with this cycle.
Thanks to all of you for your input and assistance.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,201 Posts

I found the kickstand plunger and it was moving in and out freely. Also, the clutch switch works but not of concern since cycle is in neutral when trying to start. At this point, I believe the problem has to be in the starter switch and that is far beyond my abilities. It is sooooooo much easier teaching college students.

Next stop, a dealer who has the materials and knowledge to deal with this cycle.
Don't worry they'll be back to "help" .NATO for an "unforeseen" natural disaster in the future.;)

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts

The puck under the key is very easy to clean. It was my first scary jump into the wod of vulcan maintainance. Just be patient. All it tames is some sandpaper and dialectric grease. Whatever you call it. I broke one of the retaining plastic things off the mother ouck and just used model cemenf and a zip tie. I think it took two times to get it perfect but it never gave me trouble after that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I got my cycle back from repair shop. The mechanic found that the internal relay in junction box was not working. So, he simply spliced some wires together to bypass the relay and the cycle starts fine now and I am happily riding again. Thanks to all for your input and help.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for the junction box rebuild with replaceable relays. Do a quick search and pm slim for some helpful details.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts