Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2006 Vulcan 750 with 30k miles. As of right now, the motorcycle will not start and I can't figure out what's going on with it. I have put about 1600 miles on the motorcycle over the past few weeks, it was running great. It would sometimes be a bit finicky at start up, especially when hot... like after filling up at the gas station it would take a little longer to crank over.

But like I said, now it just wont crank over. The starter motor is spinning but not engaging. Sometimes I can get it to "engage" for a few seconds if I play with the starter button (different degrees of pressure), but it wont crank over. The AGM battery is just a few weeks old. I brought it into the auto parts store and they said that the battery is better than new. No blown fuses either. I did try a new starter relay (had an extra) and it would just make a clicking noise at the junction box so I put the old relay back in.

I have also noticed that if I pull the clutch lever in a little then the starter button doesn't work. It's only if I pull the lever in just a little bit. The starter button works if I pull the lever all the way in or leave it untouched.

I am going to try and make a youtube video. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Jordan

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Starter spins, engine doesn't ... It's not going to be any of the switches, relays, solenoid, or battery.

It's a problem with the one-way starter clutch. The clutch is there so the engine can't spin the starter, and the clutch is not engaging now when the starter turns. It is accessed behind the clutch side cover.

Exception would be, if by some fluke, the shaft on the starter has broken.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Probably just the clutch itself, either stuck or broken internally. Some have had to replace it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to keep this mechanical issue alive in the electrical sub, I didn't want to create a new post. Yesterday I was trying to push start the motorcycle. I couldn't get it to turnover well push starting, but I was able to start the bike by the starter bike. The starter was engaging better after trying to pushstart the motorcycle. I went on a short 5 minute ride through my neighborhood and then turned the bike off. I was able to easily start it up, let it idle for a minute and then shut it off. Now I'm back at the starter not engaging. This most certainly does sound like the clutch starter not engaging with the starter. I went to remove the ride-side engine cover and it looks like quite the task. I miss my xs650 now, those covers were simple. Does anyone have instructions on how I go about this? I'm waiting on the manual to come in the mail. I can't find any info on the VN750. Thanks

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
There's a link here somewhere for a downloadable manual.

I think you just need to take the front header pipe off, then the cover.

Getting ready to do this myself, need a new gasket, it's leaking. Have seen a few bikes with the top right corner of the gasket out of place. Gasket came in the mail, just need to get on it.

Not sure if a thorough cleaning or soak would help that clutch or not, but it seems like it might be sticking sometimes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could a clutch cable adjustment help in any way? It would be great if I didn't have to actually remove the casing haha. I'm still learning, this stuff can be a bit overwhelming. I appreciate your help Sprockster.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
No sorry, this is an entirely different clutch. Glad to help if I can.

Here's a link for the manual. I think this is the right one, there was another that didn't have a good index or zoom.

VN750_Vulcan_Service_Manual_Parts_Catalogue

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I just checked the manual....

Drain oil, drain coolant.

Remove front header pipe.

Remove subframe bar and let it hang.

Pic in the manual shows two pry points on the cover to break it loose. You'll definitely need a cover gasket, got mine on ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts