Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Trace memory (middle of the night) - in going to put the ground cable on Orleans' starter, a copper washer fell out. Didn't think much about it at the time, and just put washers and stuff back together. This morning, I decided to pull the starter motor and see what might be going on in there. Pics are what appears to be problematic. THere's a broken part that seemed to surround the bolt coming through the positive brushings - it fell out before I could be certain about where it was located (and the diagrams in Clymer's and on Ayers' are not helpful). Also took a pic of what I had fastening the outside of the bolt, but I see I didn't replace the copper washer - also, from Clymer's and Ayers', it's impossible to tell how many of what I need, what composition, etc. :doh:

Can anyone help me id either what's here or - more importantly - what's not here? The rest of the unit looks ok - dirty, but ok. Also might be worth noting - Clymer's says to count the shims on either end of the motor - I seem to have one on each end...problem, or is that normal? Any assistance, as always, would be greatly appreciated.
:smiley_th

·
Registered
140 Posts
starter

two cents worth, again from general knowledge of starters, not specific to 750s, the broken part would be probably made from a phenolic compound or a hard plastic which acts as a bushing , insulation for your positive feed to your starter; this compound is impervious too almost everything except heat, which causes it to break down and become crumbly. i believe when you get the new part the application will be obviousto you as it would fit down on the yoke on one side and bush up into your starter housing one the other. on the stud side the two cap nuts would be a problem with me, if the bottom washer is plastic or insulated the order would be insulated, copper washer, positive lead from batt , steel washer and cap nut. many starter post will have a thin nut also on the post below the copper washer to secure the stud. again this is genarally speaking and i do not know what to do with the other capnut in your picture. good luck

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks - that helps tons. The two capnuts I realized were problematic, and I'm not entirely sure how that combination came about. I'll just blame it on Orleans' PO... :)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wish I could be of some help, I'd probably just bought a new used one.
Trust me, I looked at 'em on eBay long and hard this morning. But since I'm jumping around in my troubleshooting (three days ago it was the coils or wires; yesterday I decided it was my soldering job on the wiring harness), I'm trying not to buy anything until I can really pin down the problem. Sadly, I leave for Houston tomorrow and won't be able to have anything settled until I get back next weekend.

My zen is getting really frustrated....:boxing:

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
Rick's has rebuilt starters for $155. Not cheap but cheaper than new.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. Wasn't the starter, either. Cleaned it up, set up the washers properly, and I got the same nothingness. Starter turns, but there's no fire.

GOnna check the wiring harness and the leads I soldered to the pick-up coils. After that, I'm at a complete loss.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts