Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (non-running)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in my introduction, I discussed my bike, but I am going to do it again here for background into my issue.

I recently bought a 1997 VN750 with 10K miles on it for $600. I figured for the price it would be a project bike, and really didn't inspect it too much. If repairs start to mount I can sell it as a parts bike and then buy one that runs. Anyhow, it only clicks from the solenoid when started and has an oil leak. I have found the culprit for both. The mounting flange on the starter motor was cracked and completely separated from the starter motor itself. The starter motor was askew which is causing the oil leak and the inability to crank the engine. There is also a black tube hanging down in front of the starter motor. As soon as I have picture posting rights I will post a picture of that. I am planning to get a used starter motor and a rebuild kit. I do have some questions, though:

1) I guess I will need to split to crankcase to see if there is any damage there ( I am kinda hoping someone tells me that isn't necessary, but I am prepared to do it)
2) Is there any other places I should look at to check for damage
3) Does anyone have any thoughts on the black tube

Thanks again for any advice!

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
There's a small diameter hose that normally comes from the front of the airbox, down beside the right side of the radiator. It's a condensation drain. There's also the crankcase vent just above the starter, has a 90 degree bend, about 5" long, and roughly 5/8" diameter.

Shouldn't need to split the case. I'd guess someone had trouble installing the starter, got it in a bind, and tried to use the bolts to draw it into place. The seal can make some resistance as the starter gets into place.

·
Registered
1997 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 (non-running)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a small diameter hose that normally comes from the front of the airbox, down beside the right side of the radiator. It's a condensation drain. There's also the crankcase vent just above the starter, has a 90 degree bend, about 5" long, and roughly 5/8" diameter.

Shouldn't need to split the case. I'd guess someone had trouble installing the starter, got it in a bind, and tried to use the bolts to draw it into place. The seal can make some resistance as the starter gets into place.
Spockster,

Thanks again for the advice. I replaced the starter, topped off the oil, and she cranked right up. Now I am going to do all routine maintenance and tune up.

As far as the hose goes, I traced it up along the right side of the radiator to the airbox. Based on your description, I believe it is the condensation drain.

20210207_131353.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts