Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about 8 hours into it now. got the seat, tank, exhaust, radiator, motor mounts, the break away frame on the right side, bevel gear case all off and the motor dropped and turned slighly right. started removing the inner cover but still need a little more clearance. blew my knee out getting in the back of my explorer to get another jack out since the hatch doesn't work, hobbled back to the shed and crawled around on the floor for a few more hours and my back is killing me. started raining and it got pretty dark in the shed, need my trouble light, **** left it at dads during a house remodel. so I sneak into my little girls room and borrow her dora the explorer lamp. so me and dora are back in the shed. staor came today from ricks, took 3 days, awesome! wish I could say the same for cheap cycle parts. they should change their name to cheap and slow cycle parts. they said they would hopefully have them by monday and would ship them out then so I'm probably looking at the end of next week before finishing. by then I should have everything cleaned up and ready for gaskets. went pretty well so far, even the exhaust which worried me for the amount of rust on the bolts but they came off pretty easy. hope it goes back as easy. I'm sure lining up the motor is gonna be a bear as it was a pain to get dropped down.
couple questions off the top of my head though. underneath the gas tank is a bib looks like it should have something hooked to it but I did not remove anything from it, its directly beneath the tank lid and is plastic, should there be a tube there or is that just a vent. and coming off the carbs sticking straight up are two tubes not connected to anything, do these sound familiar and correct.
other than that I cant wait till this is over and dont want to do it again but its nice to know threadlock will be used where it needs to be and gasket sealer as well.
also this is a good time to lube the front spline but am wondering if I can pull out the driveshaft from the front and lube the rear as well without taking the tire off?

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
The two hoses on the carbs in the middle are your float vents, connect them with a tee and run a length of fuel hose to the plastic vent under the tank or to the back of the right air filter. Early modles connected to the vent under the tank and later modles went to the right air filter housing.

The shaft will pull straight out. When you install push on the shaft to make sure the spring is still in place.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
also this is a good time to lube the front spline but am wondering if I can pull out the driveshaft from the front and lube the rear as well without taking the tire off?
Yes you can. Just make sure when you pull the shaft out the the spring that sits in the end of the shaft is in there.

If not Sneek back into your daughter's room and get a metal coat hanger so you can fish out the spring.

Stick it back into the end and frost the end of the driveshaft it up like a Birthday cake with lots of frosting before you slide it back in.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
woo hoo, my parts are on their way, should be here tomorrow or the next day. already have the stator just waiting on the gaskets and orings. now I just need to find time to get her back together, I would work into the night but I don't think my dora the explorer lamp will be enough light, might have to get desperate and go steal the spongebob lamp out of my stepdaughters room.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, got her all back together except the tank, battery, and neck cover. gonna let her sit till tomorrow to cure (which is killing me). then I'll fill her with antifreeze and oil and bleed the coolant system (which is why I left the tank and neck cover off), then I'll put those on.
any other suggestions before I fire her up?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts