Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, i'm having problems with my bike with the engine start-up, when the bike is cold there is no problem starting, but as soon as the bike is hot its really hard to start. The bike has a new battery, cleaned the carbs, and it runs fine, the only problem is that its really hard to start when hot, what could cause this?

Daniel

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Hi guys, i'm having problems with my bike with the engine start-up, when the bike is cold there is no problem starting, but as soon as the bike is hot its really hard to start. The bike has a new battery, cleaned the carbs, and it runs fine, the only problem is that its really hard to start when hot, what could cause this?

Daniel
Is that a new maintainance free glass mat battery or a wet cell?

Just because it's a new battery , does not mean it is outputing enough power.
You also need to know the proper technique for hot starting..which is giving it just about 1/8 throttle , as you hit the starter. You should not use any choke...

KM

·
Registered
54 Posts
My 94 used to that. I'd pull in for gas and then it wouldn't restart. The last time it happened my wife had to rescue me with a jump start. After installing a new battery(AGM) the problem has gone away. I think the old battery wasn't charging enough and was only good for one start.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Daniel,

One thing common with all these answers to your question is the battery. Believe it or not it make a HUGE difference as to which type of battery you're using.

-Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! i changed the battery and now its much better, but i'll try the coil adjustment too!

BTW one thing my bike has is that it throws white smoke from the exhaust when in idle, strange?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks! i changed the battery and now its much better, but i'll try the coil adjustment too!

BTW one thing my bike has is that it throws white smoke from the exhaust when in idle, strange?
not a good sign, white smoke would indicate water in the cylinder,s. get clymers , wrenches, read the verses, and stay on forum. many members have been there done that and will be happy to aid you. good luck. this is not a diagnosis. just generally speaking. on cold mornings, myvn would puff a very short time, or it did last year when the goat was on, condensation, hot exhaust, cold. etcc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Make sure the battery cables are tight to receive a constant full charge. More importantly, a slightly loose cable connection may not deliver all the amps necessary to start the bike.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
My bike had hard hot starting issues as well. I made some modifications and now it starts every time;
1) AGM MF battery is a must
2) Changed the plugs out to iridiums. This helps cold starts a lot also.
3) Some have relocated their regulators (or degoated). It is thought the excess heat on the circuitry may have an effect on sufficient battery charging. On a wet cell battery, slightly insufficient charge means a big difference when hot starting.

Having said all this- when you mentioned white smoke, that may throw up a flag. Has your fluid level in your cooling fluid reservoir dropped? White smoke could be burning coolant and a drop in reservoir level would be an indicator of fluid getting into the head.

Let us know how you make out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts