Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, some of you know and most don't know.....

my VN750, has been grounded for a few years now. I have come to find out that it is all due to a bad stator.

well, here's the deal......do I put the $2000 into it or do I just start looking for another motorcycle?

I'm at the point that I just want the thing out of my garage. I'm willing to sell it "as is" for cheap, just to move it. if I don't get any interested buyers for it, I will likely just cut my losses and junk it. :crying:

if I do end up selling/junking it, I am going to pull a few parts off of it. I have a few accessories that I will put up for sale here before I list then on E bay.

either way, it's a very sad day for Ruger. :frown2::crying:

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I decided that I was going to pay for that job once and once only. Thankfully the local dealer wasn’t charging me $2000 though, but it still wasn’t cheap. I don’t think I would’ve been able to justify $2000 considering I paid $2300 (tax n tags) for the bike.
My question is why’d you hang on to the bike? My guess is because you love the damn thing lol

·
Registered
273 Posts
Why don't you just replace it yourself, for the cost of a case of beer, 16hrs of your time, and the stator? Total investment would be $330 if you got good beer.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
Lol, since you waited this long, I second that motion. Hey you have a garage, so you’re way ahead of me because I only had a sidewalk to work on, and if it’s been sitting so long you’re obviously more patient than I am. Splurge for two cases of beer and stator and you’ll still be coming out ahead.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided that I was going to pay for that job once and once only. Thankfully the local dealer wasn’t charging me $2000 though, but it still wasn’t cheap. I don’t think I would’ve been able to justify $2000 considering I paid $2300 (tax n tags) for the bike.
My question is why’d you hang on to the bike? My guess is because you love the damn thing lol
yup. you answered your own question.

$2000, is that too high? I was guessing at the cost. what would a dealer charge for stator replacement?

Why don't you just replace it yourself, for the cost of a case of beer, 16hrs of your time, and the stator? Total investment would be $330 if you got good beer.
that is a "HARD NO!", on doing it myself. besides, $330, for a stator, all other parts and a case of beer? I think it would be a little more than that.

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
I called two Kawasaki dealers near me in Philly, the stator was about $400 with gasket etc, and one place quoted me 12hrs labor ( I really didn’t think this guy wanted to do the job) and the other dealer quoted me 7 hrs. Needless to say who I went with. Only thing is they took their sweet time to finish the job. Total cost around $1100. Which still stung a bit, but it’s my 1st bike and I wasn’t ready to move on yet. The bike is an 05, the original stator lasted 14yrs, if I get half that out of the new one I’ll be content.

·
Registered
273 Posts

$2000, is that too high? I was guessing at the cost. what would a dealer charge for stator replacement?

that is a "HARD NO!", on doing it myself. besides, $330, for a stator, all other parts and a case of beer? I think it would be a little more than that.

Well if you’re unwilling to take the plunge and enjoy the learning experience, go ahead and buy a new bike that’s covered under the manufacturers warranty. I found this from Rick’s Motorsports with a one year warranty for $145. That’s the bulk of the cost right there. You could get OEM, which was known to be weak, or you can get an aftermarket one. Either way, you’re down to three options. Sell it for next to nothing, and let someone else enjoy the bike, because this is a fairly simple fix (even with the tuxedo mod); pay the dealership $2000 so you don’t have to get your nails dirty, or enjoy the experience and do it yourself for 16.5% of the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/1986-2006-KAWASAKI-Vulcan-ELECTRIC-Manufacturer/dp/B008YGMO8I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
736 Posts

Well if you’re unwilling to take the plunge and enjoy the learning experience, go ahead and buy a new bike that’s covered under the manufacturers warranty. I found this from Rick’s Motorsports with a one year warranty for $145. That’s the bulk of the cost right there. You could get OEM, which was known to be weak, or you can get an aftermarket one. Either way, you’re down to three options. Sell it for next to nothing, and let someone else enjoy the bike, because this is a fairly simple fix (even with the tuxedo mod); pay the dealership $2000 so you don’t have to get your nails dirty, or enjoy the experience and do it yourself for 16.5% of the cost.
https://www.amazon.com/1986-2006-KAWASAKI-Vulcan-ELECTRIC-Manufacturer/dp/B008YGMO8I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have to disagree a little here, I’ve remodeled entire homes by myself in my past so I’m no stranger to work or daunting tasks. Changing this stator without the tux mod or the TOC plate is NOT an easy job to take on by yourself if you don’t have the right tools or a good place to work.
I can’t speak for other’s financial situations but if you can afford to fix it then go for it. I’m 43, I work full time, I have a 9yr old and a wife, so life is pretty busy, When time permits I’d rather ride the bike then rip it apart.

Just to give perspective, I had the Kawasaki dealer do my bike because my usual mechanic didn’t want to take the job on because he’s by himself.

·
Super Moderator
11,972 Posts
I could be wrong, but I thought Rick's stators were junk.

My opinion here is sell it and fill that empty spot in your garage with a new bike.

I have a Vulcan taking up space in my garage too, and my "plan" was to get it running again after I retire. Truth be told, if someone offered me $500 for it I'd let them haul it away...as I do have a motorcycle to ride , (my Triumph Bonneville)
If it's just sitting there collecting dust and you don't want to spend the $$$ to fix it, then by all means pass it on to someone that will. ;)

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
I find myself in the same place, I own three older vehicles, the Vulcan gets ridden the least and uses the vast majority of my tinkering time, its currently down again for a water pump bearing. Thinking i can sell it and get a boat as it will cost less in the long run

·
Premium Member
736 Posts
It all boils down to what’s stronger in this situation. Emotion or logic. From a logical perspective the bike probably isn’t worth the money it’ll take to repair it, but if you’re gonna kick yourself forever because you sold it then go for it.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
Been a while, how you been ruger. Played hell trying to log on here again. The job you need ti do is not impossible and only less than 300 diy. It can be done in 3 days and that is letting the gasket sealer cure. I did my stator on the 750, then the tux mod later and on my second stator on my 900. They aren't that bad although the 750 is tougher. 2000 is a bit extreme. You need help let me know. Wish my garage was a little bigger id have you drop it off

1 - 12 of 12 Posts