Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
New Rider
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost got killed today when I got squeezed by two merging vehicles. The main culprit was a big flatbed tow truck who can in from the right. I saw him coming, but when I moved left, a SUV came across and cut in front of the tow truck. I still don't know how I missed getting clipped. Scared the **** out of me!!!!

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I would have made them both very aware of my feelings!!!!!!!!!! glad you are okay!

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Same kinda thing happened to me where two highways merge. I am now looking for a bigger horn.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Thats why I rarely go south of Rt 80, and when I do, its to the west.....

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
In my current mental state (major stress at home) I would either be in jail or dead cause I would have cut tjem off and stopped them both right in the middle of the highway and beat the **** out of them

People dont seem to cut me off anymore I guess they are scared of me but I'm not complaining

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of motorcycling...

I've lost count of the near misses and the times I just almost bought the farm.

Oddly the longer I've been riding the less they seem to happen. Guess I'm just better at avoiding them now....
Exactly. The longer you ride, the more you learn to anticipate such possible situations, and already have a plan to get out of them. Someday you will miss one, and it will be the one that gets you. 40 years and somewhere between 500,000 and 600,000 miles so far and I have not been down yet. With each close call I get better at avoiding the next one.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Exactly. The longer you ride, the more you learn to anticipate such possible situations, and already have a plan to get out of them.
This is about as dead on as it gets. "Give them the space or they'll take it" is a creed I ride by. People in 4 wheels are to busy to worry about driving now days. We've got to text, answer that phone call, or get that radio on station. 'He'll get the -uck out of my way' attitudes when driving that land missle. Most don't go out driving to wreck you they're just to busy behind the wheel to care.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
There's two types of riders,ones who've been down and ones who will gi down.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...Amen to that, brother......anyone who never gone down is either a weekend warrior, a liar, or a noob ridin less than 3 months....

...600,000 thousand....wow....thats 42 miles/day every day fer 40 yrs....holy cow !!!....I bet half was on a scooter too....;)

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
About 550,000 actually. Right at 50,000 on scooters, including 26,000 on one 2008 Yamaha Vino 125. At least 10,000 on 50cc pedal mopeds, and closing in on 200,000 on Vulcan 750s. NEVER BEEN DOWN. Yes I have been down on dirt bikes, but never on a street bike. I got my first dirt bike at age 8, and was racing MX by 12.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
riding a dirt bike at 8yrs old try that now a days and get hurt just once cps would snatch you up from your parents in a heart beat

i think you bumped your head mister

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
About 550,000 actually. Right at 50,000 on scooters, including 26,000 on one 2008 Yamaha Vino 125. At least 10,000 on 50cc pedal mopeds, and closing in on 200,000 on Vulcan 750s. NEVER BEEN DOWN. Yes I have been down on dirt bikes, but never on a street bike. I got my first dirt bike at age 8, and was racing MX by 12.
Rule number one-NEVER say never,especially in all capital letters.that's a sure way to jinx yourself .

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...jinx jinx jinx.....(adds an evil VonDutch flying eyeball)....aint nobody deserves some roadrash more....

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
riding a dirt bike at 8yrs old try that now a days and get hurt just once cps would snatch you up from your parents in a heart beat

i think you bumped your head mister
So you really think there are no 8 year olds riding dirt bikes these days? They are doing it out in the fields and at organized meets. Have you ever gone into a Cycle Gear store and seen all the equipment they have geared specifically for these kids? Those aren't just for "little people" customers.

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
One of my old neighbors 6 year old son rode a tiny off road bike...now at 9 years old he competes with other kids in off road races.
He broke his wrist once, no one took him away from his parents.

Pee wee football is just as dangerous btw.

I'll admit I've not fallen in the street for over 35 years. I've gone down on a race track and I've "Ate Sheit" off road a few times.

I've known a few riders that crashed many times and I've met a few that never went down....it's not a comment on ability it's really more an act of luck.

So saying if someone hasn't crashed, they will someday.... is going against the odds....as its been pointed out the longer you ride the better you become at avoiding problems. At this point it's just basic law of probability that one out of whatever will have some Ahole in a cage take them out....as even a super ninja at avoiding danger like me can always be slammed from the rear at a stop light unexpectedly....

If you all didn't notice the OP avoided crashing....and now hopefully he knows how to avoid that scenario from replaying again....

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Thats why I rarely go south of Rt 80, and when I do, its to the west.....
Ok so all the bad drivers are either south of Rt. 80 or a bit to the east of there? Wolfie, Brother of Mine, there are idiots every where. Coming home from church tonight I had a guy block the entire two lanes of traffic coming towards me so he could pull out of a parking lot and cut me off. I had to stop to let him go and as I was about to pass him about 200 feet further up the road he just slid across into my lane and cut me off again. The next light turned red on him and when he stopped I pulled up along side him and explained what he did. His reply was a "wtf" look and "I'm sorry" and I then asked if I could drive his car like that while he was unprotected on the street. He didn't like the idea. I asked him if he felt the "I'm sorry" would be sufficient to my family after he killed me and he got totally confused. There are idiots where ever any of us ride and most of them just don't give a cr*p about anyone else especially bikers.

.....People dont seem to cut me off anymore I guess they are scared of me but I'm not complaining
So they all know and recognize you when they see you coming? Don't count on that. They are still out to get any biker they can even if you don't believe it.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....Nahhh brother...it aint the drivers are wose...its just the volume increases (once ya get down by Lakewood, same as here, just flat)...and thats the sheit that freaks me out...you been up her by me...what, 1 car avery few, right ?...down there, yer on 3-4 lanes, surrounded by yuppies on Prozac texting on SUVs....we dont have that here, so just here is what Im used to....

Im gonna go as far as I-80...least this year...Im still not fully recovered from my splenectomy....unless I find backroads....

just call a meet point....I'll se if I can....I wanna...trust me....do ya ?...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts