Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a 1999 vulcan 750. I bought it at the beginning of the summer and the guy said it hadn't been ridden very much the last year. It runs fine (i am going to put some seafoam in it just to be sure and just got a MF battery for it). My problem is the front brakes squeak when I apply very much pressure to them. Do I need to change the brake fluid or is there something else that would cause that. Thanks

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
Sometimes they do squeek, fluid would do nothig to help that. Make sure you have pad left on the calipers, if not replace the pads. They mix in Copper to the semi metalik pads which causesd a squeek. Normal

·
Registered
553 Posts
How many miles are on your bike? Check the condition of the pads and rotors. If the rotors are warped you may have worn down the pads in places allowing the rivits to stick out. Not sure about the kind of pads we have, maybe the squeal is the wear indicaters telling you it's time to change.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
On cars the squeaking is caused by vibration, and that's why they put the blue silicone stuff on the side of the pad that comes in contact with the calipers. Vibration could be caused by rust on the disk, or warping - as Fergy said. If you want to get dirty, take one of the calipers loose and check the pads to see how badly they are worn. If you don't want to get dirty, measure the thickness of the pads and post here with the info.

·
Registered
299 Posts
That blue silicon acts like shock absorber for the brake shoe.The shoe and the disc are so smooth that when the pad {shoe} come in contact with each other there is what they call chattering but it is so fast that makes a high pitched squealing noise Take calipers off remove the shoes{pads} and put a small amount of high temp silicon on the back put back together and this should work for you. Good point CEGODSEY

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Yeah, chattering - that's it! If everything appears OK, then it is probably chattering. Thanks Krawdad for explaining that. I knew it did it, but I never knew just exactly why. I do know that the calipers and frame act like amplifiers and that's why you hear it. That's why you put a "buffer" between the shoe and the caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts