Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 750 and at idle I hear an intermittent squeak/squeal which sounds like it could be coming from the right side of the engine. It's a high pitched sound kind of like a dry bearing being spun too fast. Kind of hard to describe in words but the kind of sound that when you hear it you say "oh yeah"! lol It doesn't make the sound all the time only occasionally and it's only noticable at idle.

Anyway, it doesn't sound like it's currently a major problem but have just recently bought the bike I'd like to make sure I'm starting out on good footing. What I've done so far:

Spline Lube with Moly-60
Final Drive Oil Change
Oil and Filter change (I won't go into the type of oil and filter, lol)
K&N Filters in the stock ears
SeaFoam
Replaced the speedo gear box and cable (It was frozen)
Replaced the battery (Need to exchange the wet cell I bought at AutoZone for a MF)
Coolant Drain & Refill

Still To Do:
Front Tire replacement (plenty of tread but a bit dried out)
Brake Fluid Drain & Refill
.020 Gap adjustment for the pickup coils.

Any idea on the squeak or comments on my plan of attack with the new ride?

TIA for the advice,
Mark

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Have you checked the heat shield to make sure they're all tight?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, everything external is tight that I can locate. It definately sounds like something rotating like a bushing or something thats dry. I can't seem to get it to do it long enough to get a good sense of where it's coming from or to try something like pull in the clutch handle or put it in gear.

Thanks for the input though
Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just picked up my bike a week ago and I seem to have the exact same problem. Only noticeable at about 1100-1200 rpm at idle. If its a high idle the noise is not present. I am not really sure what side it is coming from though, the weather has been bad and I haven't had time to really dig into it yet.

·
Registered
900 Posts
when is the last time you changes the oil?.. did you use a synthtic?.. is the oil at the right level?.. I am betting its a clutch issue.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's my thought, clutch. I'm not familiar enough with the internals but if it were a car I'd suspect the thrust bearing, does our bike even have a thrust bearing? lol

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Yes, everything external is tight that I can locate. It definately sounds like something rotating like a bushing or something thats dry. I can't seem to get it to do it long enough to get a good sense of where it's coming from or to try something like pull in the clutch handle or put it in gear.

Thanks for the input though
Mark
Mine is a 2002. I have the same noise. Looking for a cure also.
Jim

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
what oil did you guys use?
Shell Rotella T 15-40. I am going to drain the oil and go back to Valvoline motorcycle oil 20-50. I have always had good luck with it. I think the 15-40 might be too light. My only concern is that my engine runs cold and the 50 weight might be too heavy.
Jim

·
Registered
57 Posts
I am using shell rotella 15-40 also, but it was also present with the 20-50 the previous owner had in just before i put it in. I was thinking something along the lines of a throw out bearing as well. This is my first bike so I don't really know bikes. I am pretty sure though that it does it in neutral just idling though, would that be a clutch issue to.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I am using shell rotella 15-40 also, but it was also present with the 20-50 the previous owner had in just before i put it in. I was thinking something along the lines of a throw out bearing as well. This is my first bike so I don't really know bikes. I am pretty sure though that it does it in neutral just idling though, would that be a clutch issue to.
I don't think it's a clutch issue. I would bet that it is stator related. On my 4 cylinder bikes, which have a whine, it is usually an inner stator shaft bearing. I don't have a Vulcan clymer manual yet so I can't check it out.

·
Registered
900 Posts
your stator would be long dead befor it made any noise and you would know it by not being able to charge at all.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
your stator would be long dead befor it made any noise and you would know it by not being able to charge at all.
That's good to know. Mine is charging fine. I only mentioned possible stator because I have had bearing issues before on 4 cylinder motors and the inner bearing is on the right side. I don't know the workings of the stator on these bikes yet.
Thanks

·
Registered
900 Posts
the metal plates can get bent or stuck together with old oil... a lot of peeps on here will run some Sea Foam in the crank case for no more than 100 miles to break stuff up and then do an oil change.. but I am betting that you have a cluch plate issue...

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
the metal plates can get bent or stuck together with old oil... a lot of peeps on here will run some Sea Foam in the crank case for no more than 100 miles to break stuff up and then do an oil change.. but I am betting that you have a cluch plate issue...
Thanks, I am betting against any clutch issue. I have used SeaFoam for years and swear by it. I have not tried it where a wet clutch is involved. If you or the other guys have added it to the oil prior to an oil change with no problems I will do that. I do it in my car before every oil change.
Jim

·
Registered
900 Posts
dont run it to long though...a few hours is good enough... and then a good synth oil.. you pick here.. but it seems that Mobil 1 "red cap" 15W50 is popular and has had good results.. and at this point we will start an oil thread and get lots of posts...LOL

1 - 20 of 36 Posts